9/29/11

Learning about Rosh Hashanah


Today and tomorrow the kids are home from school because of the Jewish Holiday Rosh Hashanah. Before I moved to NYC, I wasn't aware of this holiday. Actually, I hadn't taken the time to learn about it until I opened Gwyneth Paltrow's online newsletter Goop. It's embarrassing that I'm learning religious doctrine from a celebrity, but that's besides the point. I was happy to learn that there are blessing for everyone this time of year! Hooray! I'm all for more blessings!

Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year. Michael Berg, a Kabbalah scholar and author, wrote this in the Goop newsletter:

There are many tools that we can use during the two days of Rosh Hashanah but there are two important connections that we can all make. The first is to take time during these two days and think about our past year, the good, the better, and the not so good. Then ask yourself, “What do I want to change from last year?”, “what do I want to make better?” Also, “what blessings do we want to draw for ourselves and our family in the next year?” The supernal gates open up during these two days and by opening ourselves up to the flow of light and energy from above we can receive endless blessings.

I love NYC for teaching me about Jewish Holidays! I'm off to go teach my kids what I learned. And get some bagels for breakfast. I'm going to spend the next two days thinking about those questions and hopefully make some changes.

As for Ella, here's her answers:
What do I want to change from last year? I don't want to cry as much.
What do I want to make better? I want to get to higher levels of reading.


What do you want to change from last year? What do you want to make better?


3 comments:

  1. As a kid, I always had off of school for this holiday and I never took the time to even understand what it was, so thank you for this!

    -meesch
    http://www.aperfectkindofday.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger