3/5/12

Marionette Theatre in Central Park


We're so lucky to live within walking distance to a marionette theatre. It's such a simple, classic, and charming form of entertainment that I hope never dies away. It's also one of the cheapest things to do in the city, so this is the third time we've gone! Tickets are only $8/adult and $5/children under 12. The theatre is located within the charming Swedish Cottage in one of my favorite parts of Central Park.  After seeing a show, I love walking through the Shakespeare Gardens and then up to Belvedere Castle.

The current show is Little Miss Muffet’s Monster-Sitting Service. It's about a little girl, her spider babysitter, and all the mischief that happens when she opens a monster baby sitting company. Wild times!

The kids really liked the performance. I measure likability by whether or not my kids can sit through an entire show. They did! While I thought the sets and puppets were eye catching and thoughtfully made, I would have loved to see a more classic aesthetic and storyline. But maybe I'm just old fashioned. Ella loved everything, particularly the spider. She kept saying it was "so unbelievable, mom! Wow!"


One of my favorite parts was the quick demonstration at the end of the show explaining how puppets work. Isn't that little puppet with the red tie the cutest?


Thanks to the Swedish Cottage Marionette Theater for sending me tickets to review this show. We can't wait to go back!

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip! My gal loves the puppet scene in Sound of Music, so I'm guessing this will be a hit. A NYC day trip has been put on the calendar for April. Have you been to Jane's Carousel at Brooklyn Bridge Park? We might do that on the same day...the architect in our family wants to see that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming to NYC in a couple weeks so I check your blog every day to see what to do. I am definitly hitting Top of the Rock adn possibly Serendipity, I heard they have frozen hot chocolate, is that even possible?!?!? I must find out. Now I think I have to add Shakespeares Garden to my list. Great Post! Thanks. http://welovemax.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun adventure! The puppets and set are so well done. I wish we had something like it in my city!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun adventure. The puppets and set are so well done. I wish there was something like it in my city.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE it! Exposing your kids to the fine arts is one of the best things you can do on so many levels! (just my opinion). I want to take K to a marionette the next time I go up!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. how fun! i love that sitting through it = enjoying it. so true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! That is so fun. I have never seen a marionette performance and I bet my littles would LOVE it. I'm new to your blog and it is fabulous!

    ~Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife
    http://davidandcarolineparker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like such fun. I went to a Marionette show when I was in elementary school and it was great. I love that they put a twist on a classic tale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like such a sweet little show. I'll have to try that next time were in the city. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I always hated Marionettes growing up...they creeped me out. But this looks like it was fun! Sounds like a good kid outing. Wish there was something like it near me!

    www.meawhitbrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is your colourful blog that brings me a lot of knowledge about living. 
    | Toko Baju Online
    | Reseller Baju

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post is positively motivating. I like your post and all that you impart to us is present and exceptionally useful, I need to bookmark the page so I can return here from you that you have made a fabulous showing.

    Visit: Accredited GED Diploma Program


    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, awesome weblog structure! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for? you made running a blog look easy. The whole look of your web site is fantastic, let alone the content material!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Other than the subject knowledge, this blog mostly focused on untouched aspects of interviews. Great for people who are freshers or experienced will definitely gain from this site. Regards, government jobs in Maharashtra

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger