4/12/11

Tips for crossing Brooklyn Bridge with kids


Here's my recommendations for walking across the Brooklyn Bridge with kids based on the experience I had today.
1. Take the 2/3 subway from Manhattan to Brooklyn and get off at the first stop in Brooklyn (Clark St.). If you get distracted and miss that stop, the next stop (Borough Hall) works too.
2. Once you get out of the subway, if you're feeling really lost, you can always stop at a near by Starbucks. It's always available for directions, water and ridiculously overpriced organic chocolate milk for the kids. But it's worth every dime.
3. Eventually, find your way to Brooklyn Bridge Park. Throw rocks in the water. Lay in the grass with your arms out stretched. Have a picnic. Run around in the playground. This is when you might have a few moments when motherhood is as great as you dreamed it could be.

4. I asked my boys, "Are you brave enough to walk over that humongous bridge?" They shouted, "YEAH!" and ran out of the playground. I was shocked they transitioned so well. Try it!
5. Take the stairs that lead to the bridge. A tourist might help carry the stroller.
6. Dig in your bag until you find a couple of dollars to buy two bottles of ice cold water from a street vendor.
7. Last tip: If walking over the Brooklyn Bridge, stay out of the bike path. The white line divides the bike lane and the walk lane. Oscar (left) is demonstrating the concentration, stillness, and seriousness it takes if you want to stand on that line. Owen (right) takes a bit more relaxed approach.  Whatever suits your personality!



15 comments:

  1. I love this. Those guys are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. every time i read about raising a family in nyc i say to my husband- look! she's doing it! AND she has 3 kids!!. i'm dying to move out of the burbs and into a big city and reading these posts just fuels the fire. thanks for the motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, i have a confession. i've never walked across the brooklyn bridge. weird, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. are you guys living in New York now? I'm confused cause I haven't kept up. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, these are great suggestions! We'll have to do it again when Liz and Henry come to town!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get over it- your new camera is amazing! If you want some extra money on the side you should try selling photos on a website like on Shutterstock.
    Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am amazed at your adventurous spirit. I never take my kids out of the UWS bubble by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this post, and your pictures of the kids of course, but the bridge itself looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what a nice T-shirt. I like this. I think that very one like this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Simply put, honest rock. No leaks, the mess is an easy clean up if you use the disposable liners. When there is poop, just flush the liner and it leaves a relatively clean diaper. There might be a little poop on the corner where the liner isn't covering, but that is only with a softer stool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s amazing in support of me to truly have a web site that is valuable meant for my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger