7/11/11

Internet Dating

I got married before internet dating became the norm. But that hasn't stopped me! Last week I went on two internet dates. Instead of looking for someone taller, darker, and handsomer than my husband Rob, I found some cool girl friends. As a stay-at-home mom, finding friends can be challenging.  But thanks to blogging, I have been introduced to some great gals. 
The Hipster, the Musician, the Prep or the Overweight Photographer: Who matches your eHarmony profile? 

On Thursday, I met up with Joanna Goddard from Cup of Jo at Bleecker Playground.  Owen and Oscar adored the playground because of the Tiny Tikes Cars up for grabs. Ella loved swinging on the monkey bars.  Had I not ignored my kids at the park, I might have taken some pictures. But I was having too much fun talking to Joanna! Even though we knew some info about each other from our blogs, we didn't know everything. I forgot her baby's name (It's Toby) and she asked if I was somehow related Jordan or Liz (I'm not). It was great to get to know her. We have plans to meet up again at the end of the month. I can't wait to tell you about it! It's going to be awesome.

On Friday, I met up with Abbie from Little Family in the Big City. After reading this post, I knew I wanted to be her friend. So I commented on her blog, she emailed me back, and a few days later we were meeting up at Washington Square Park. She has kids around my kids age so we're a good match. We spent all afternoon talking about our life stories and how we got to NYC.  I was wondering (like most first dates) if she liked me as much as I liked her. I was relieved when she texted me that night. She likes me! Yes! We plan on getting together sometime soon. This week perhaps? Can't wait!

Isn't Washington Square Park great? The people, the arch, the fountain! Dreamy. Oh-pay not attention to the sign. You CAN go in the fountain.

abbie took the picture of the sign. i took the rest.

Here's to more blogging friendships! Have you ever met up with someone you blogged stalked? How did it go? I don't know why I haven't done it more often. Joanna and Abbie: Thanks for not being internet crazies and kidnapping me and my kids. You never know!



30 comments:

  1. Haven't met anyone yet but I look forward on getting to know them in person, I'm so grateful for getting to meet (blog meet) such nice people in this little blog world of ours! It's been a great surprise I never expected to happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! This post made me laugh! It's so true. We were totally on a date. I can't wait to play again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! What a clever girl you are. I'm looking forward to re-connecting with you and meeting your little family! T-minus 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm jealous. i'm literally in the middle of writing a post right now about how hard it is to find friends in the city. i've had the hardest time meeting people who share the same interests as me. i don't have any cool kids to play with your cool kids, but i have a dog. does that count?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember when Ryan drank the water from the fountain in MEXICO?! hahahaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello! i'm visiting via happy day via cup of joe. very sweet how you talk about meeting bloggers like a first date, and that you got a text that evening! i've been lucky enough to meet a few and have 2 very nearby. isn't funny how people are exactly how they seem on their blogs? if you like their blog and the way they write, you will probably like them in real life too. it's like having a modern day penpal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gaby: So true.

    Abbie:haha.

    Kersey: can't wait! you definitely will be in my Internet Dating Part 2 post!

    Rebecca: Let's meet up next week! Email me!

    Jeannine: hahahahaha

    Francesca: Thanks for stopping by. I like that: it's like having a modern day penpal. Exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this post. Why is it so hard to find friends when you are an adult, but our kids can walk up to anyone and make it look so easy?

    http://childrensayit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post!! I was in the city w/ my sisters this past weekend (I live in North Jersey) and I was *secretly* looking for you + Joanna the whole time. I was planning what I'd say and everything. But I didn't see you girls. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been so lucky to meet other bloggers after I moved to Switzerland. A lot of them have been local and are still my friends but a lot of them are passing through - either way it's always like meeting up with an old friend =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I live around the corner from here, and I cannot tell you how many homeless men and women I see peeing and bathing in this fountain. PLEASE dont let your beautiful daughter swim in there :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kylie: oh no. Yikes! I'm such an idiot. I Should have known. If it makes it any better, the fountain had been drained all day and we were the first people in it when it was put back on. So at least the water was fresh and the fountain had been baking in the sun all day. And my kids didnt get any funky skin rashes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a really cute post. glad you had fun on your dates!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it great what the world wide web can bring to us,a new acquaintance,a new friend,a new companion and maybe a new relationship that would last a lifetime?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I found both your blog and Jordan's from Joanna's this past week. I have little crushes on you all. In the MOST non-creepy way humanly possible.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my best girlfriends I met on a "blind date." I was living in China, wanting to meet some girlfriends when the guy I was dating told me about his brother's girlfriend who was coming to town for a few months. We did the meet-at-the-subway-what-are-you-wearing bit and eventually became flatmates! A few years later, we are no longer with the brothers but we're great friends. We thank them for that.

    ReplyDelete
  17. YES! I met two gals through blogging when I first moved to Switzerland. One happened to live right around the corner from us. Can you imagine?! So amazing. We are still friends. :) The internet is just so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I must say internet dating is a very nice approach to find any desired match from all over the world and it can be done at any age. There are several dating sites made specifically for married people and those can be tried as well. Recently I have also used an Iranian dating site for dating a Persian girl there and it was a great experience for me. I started trusting dating sites after that and these are really good to use.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Internet dating, personals, matchmaking free dating sites are the sites you might want to discover. But take note, not all free dating sites are the best sites, of course you might also learn of the worst free ladyboy dating site. Let me give you some insights on what are free dating sites are offering that might perhaps urge you to sign up to free dating sites or not at all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Many of the young lads dream of getting married to a pretty looking and simple natured foreigner. Well, they can sign up at DateVIP to have a look at the foreign brides, and start interacting with the most suitable one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. All the net chat within the world won’t substitute for the primary meeting and a real assessment. try and keep relaxed. Listen, however be able to carry the language. persist with areas wherever you'll notice facilitate quickly. athens.dating

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very intresting post i have got here keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger