10/4/11

Comfort Food: Start with the Classics


Today was the first grey chilly day of the season. Chicken soup was the topic of discussion at the playground after school. Ella literally came crying to me when one of her friend wouldn't share another sip of her mom's homemade chicken noodle soup. Out of a the thermos no less. While comforting Ella and listening to her cry, I decided that I was also in the mood for chicken noodle soup. Almost to the point of tears too! So together we looked up a recipe on my iphone.

And like always, I became consumed with finding the perfect recipe. I wasn't in the mood for the typical chicken, onion, carrot, celery, noodle combination. I wanted something different and so I asked the father of the girl with the chicken soup. What was in that soup that made Ella sob for more? Dill and Turnips. Ha. And that was that. I had my recipe. Below is the one I loosely followed tonight. I added a turnip and leek just because. I also used bone-in thigh and leg meat instead of breast meat. I'm positive it's not as healthy, but I don't like the way the breast meat always tastes bland and over cooked in soups. Have you noticed that too?

The result: It was so good I seriously forgot to take a picture of the finished product! AND my kids ate turnips, leeks, and parsnips for dinner. Jokes on them!

What's your favorite comfort food? Mine: Besides chicken noodle soup, it's mashed potatoes. I never make them as good as my dad. Sometimes mine are lumpy. Watery. Dry. I'll have to ask him what his secret is to perfect mashed potatoes. PS Happy Birthday Dad!

Here's the Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe from Food and Wine


  1. 1 1/2 quarts canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
  2. 1 onion, chopped
  3. 4 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
  4. 4 parsnips, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
  5. 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  6. 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
  7. 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3)
  8. 1 cup wide egg noodles (about 2 ounces)
  9. 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
  10. 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
  1. In a large pot, combine the broth, onion, carrots, parsnips, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken breasts to the pot and simmer until just done, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken; bring the soup back to a simmer. When the chicken breasts are cool enough to handle, cut them into bite-size pieces.
  2. Meanwhile, stir the noodles into the soup. Simmer until the vegetables are tender and the noodles are done, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken pieces to the pot and then stir in the dill and the parsley.
NOTES
Variations
• Skip the parsnips and raise the number of carrots to eight.
• Add one diced turnip to the mix.
• Use bone-in chicken breasts and cook them for an additional ten minutes. The extra time in the pot will give the soup even more flavor.




12 comments:

  1. Thank you Sharon, chicken soup will be the right choice for supper today! + I enjoy to follow your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so great. I make a chicken soup by poaching a whole chicken with carrots, leeks and fennel. We usually eat some of the chicken, veg and broth the first night served over rice and sprinkled with lots of dill, then the second night we cook tiny pasta shapes in the leftover broth and eat some more of the chicken, then if there's any meat left we make a big chicken salad on the third night. We're making it on Friday, I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dill??! YUM! My boyfriend's mom uses dill in a lot, and I LOVE the flavor. I gotta try it in chicken soup now :) Love that you fooled your kids...bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oohh---dill? Great idea! Sounds delicious! I think I have to go with meatloaf and maybe chili. And one more that is kind of random--sausage balls. Haha--we always make them for christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i trick ed into eating veggies they way you trick your kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh! I totally want to try and make this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i made chicken soup last week... but i didn't have pasta so i tossed in rice.... not a good idea! it turned into a chicken sludge!!! i know i did something wrong because i have had fantastic chicken rice soup. ill give it another go but this time make sure i have pasta! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Everyone!!

    FanFamFun: Good know about the rice. I totally would have done the same thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you can find it add some parsley root to the soup. It gives it a very nice flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am going to make chicken soup tonight, looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The comfort food starts with classic. Good post

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger