11/14/11

My 30th Part One: The Sentimental Version


I couldn't help but be reminded of mother on my birthday. Had she'd been alive and been here to celebrate with me, I know she would have flipped out over the Rockettes, the Beatles cover band in the subway playing her favorite songs, and Rob's sorry attempt at a homemade birthday cake. I missed her during those three moments and cried a little that she wasn't around to experience them with me.

I kept imagining her big toothy smile, her loud New York accent yapping away at how everything was so great. The way she laughed so easily. She never held back her emotions. As a teenager, it was a little embarrassing how excited she would get when I was trying desperately to play it cool. Looking back on it now, I can't help but love her for it.

It's those same qualities that I love about Ella. That's why I like to celebrate my birthday with her. She's the closest person I know that is the same way. You should have seen Ella ice skating at Rockefeller Center, the moment Santa ran in front of us at Rockettes, the way she was giggling when she got her nails done. I'm lucky to have her.

Non sentimental details of the day tomorrow.


9 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Birthday,mine was on the 11th, I do love a November birthday.
    Hillary Hansen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday, Sharon! The thirties are awesome :) Bobby celebrated his birthday last week too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaah your post really touched me. I was 17 when my mum died and to this day regret not being able to enjoy an adult relationship with her. My last few years with her-I was the ever so cool teenager. If only I'd know time was limited. So...your 30's...so much better than your 20's. It's like you finally fit your skin! So enjoy the next 10 :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you had a happy, happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sentimental details! They are so special, thank you for sharing. Oh, and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday! Loved reading this post - my 29th is today and I've been reflecting on my 30th next year. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetest. Post. Ever. Plus, I can relate... Not going to go into it, but I can. Happy to here you had a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happiest of happy birthdays, Sharon!

    xo
    Shoko

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger