12/8/11

1962 Christmas


New Yorkers love themselves a good costume party. When I get invited to one, I always wonder how seriously everyone will dress-up. What I've learned is that it's a range. Some people nail it from head to toe, others just add an accessory or two (fur seems to be the most popular choice no matter what the theme), and some people don't dress-up at all! Forever 21 is usually the best place to get everything.  Or in Whitney's case (below left) her mom's closet is the best place. Interesting note, that's not her husband she's posing with. It's her husband's old roommate! Looks like someone was taking the Mad Men theme a little too seriously. haha


I tried sooo hard to find the right dress for this very Kennedy Christmas. I looked for hours, but I couldn't find the right thing. By the time I realized I wasn't going to find it, I was too far away from Forever 21 to save the day. So I wore some black and white things I have in my closet. Jackie O seemed to wear a lot of black and white. I was fine! See picture below.


The hostess, Carol, kept the theme going with 60's themed food, check it out here. Loved everything! Even the mystery meat! And Brigham (my old neighbor) kept the party moving with his amazing 3 phase playlist: "Christmas Music", "60's" and "21st Century Party Music". It's brilliant, check it out here. He also took this picture of Rob and me holding gum cigarettes. Great prop! No one in the history of the world was more giddy to hold a fake cigarette than me. I felt so cool in a really pathetic sad way. Ha.



Thanks Carol for inviting Rob and me. AND THANK YOU EMILY FOR BABYSITTING! (insert flashing font as soon as it's invented). We were out late! I felt so ashamed walking into the house at that hour of the night . . .

13 comments:

  1. I always get so stressed when trying to find an outfit for a theme party! I want to fully dedicate and go all out, but I get caught up in the details. It's a catch-22 because I refuse to be the person who isn't dressed in costume. It looks like a great party!

    p.s. I LOVE fake cigarettes! I would secretly love to smoke (because I think it looks so cool, ha!), if I wasn't worried about it killing me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a fun party! If you have another, F21 had so many fake furs, pearls and swing dresses when I was there yesterday. Unfortunately my pregnant belly does not allow for anything but the pearls (which I didn't really need). I did, however, get some fur boots for $16 that look like bear feet, not 60s, but oh so cute. Oh and definitely needed.

    http://semiweeklyeats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really fun!!! No one around here (that I know) throws costume parties. Bummer. When I read "I felt so cool in a really pathetic way" I laughed. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for coming and for linking to me. completely made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys nailed it and your husband is dashing;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I love this! I would totally love getting an outfit together for it- but it is totally stressful. You look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time you really need to call me. I have fur.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon! i keep loving your posts. i'm the one from ithaca that dated andy a couple months ago. i saw your pics of whitney and about died. she is one of my very favorite cornell friends!! how fun that you know eachother. keep up the good work, and the next time i'm in the city i'll be sure to drop you a hello.
    xoxo
    nora

    ReplyDelete
  9. GreetingsfromTexasMarch 30, 2012 at 6:34 PM

    So fun! I would have posed with the Mad Men look alike too - anything to hold me over until Don Draper is back on the air!
    www.megansilianoff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. you guys are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would feel cool with a candy cigarette dangling from my lip, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this party! I am obsessed with themed parties. You look fab!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger