4/24/12

Mets Baseball Game with the Family


We recently went to a Giants/Mets baseball game on a whim. Mostly because it sounded fun, but also because my husband Rob loves sports (Go Giants! Warriors! 49ers!). I was shocked when I found that out when I first met him. My family didn't watch professional sports on TV growing up, and I never dated a guy who liked professional sports. I honestly thought sport fans were weird and dull.  I used to think all that money and all the hype was such a waste. But Rob changed that for me.

I always tell people, watch one game with my husband, and you'll see sports aren't lame after all. Maybe it's because I love him to death, but he showed me that sports aren't for just for morons. They actually have some substance. Not that I'll ever watch a game by myself, but when I'm with him, he really makes it exciting and worthwhile.  His enthusiasm is contagious.

Sometimes I get so frustrated when people dismiss sports fans as weird and dull even though I totally used to be one of them. The worst is when people make snide remarks. Makes me want to throw a Superbowl party and force them to come!

So when he proposed that we go to a Mets game, I was excited! It's a classic NYC activity. It wouldn't feel right if I lived here much longer and missed out on a professional sporting event.  While we were there, Ella and Rob really bonded over the game. It was so cute to watch him explain the rules to her. I loved hearing her say, "Oh, so it's not a point, it's a run?"  They cheered. They booed.  Even when she got bored, she drew a picture of the baseball field. Such a sweetheart.

The boys, on the other hand, got antsy quickly. I took Owen around the entire stadium once. Then I picked up Oscar and did the same with him. They were stoked to get some one on one time for a change. We were also lucky the stadium was practically empty so the boys could run up and down the aisles without bugging anyone.

After a while, I got antsy too. I was happy to be the food runner. The bathroom runner. The photographer. I did sing my heart out to Take Me Out the The Ball Game. Love that part!

I'm shocked we lasted the whole game. Rob must have really worked his sports fan magic on my kids. Like I said, all it takes is one game!

PS Owen really wanted for me to buy him something, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Finally, I asked him to draw it for me (above). Can you guess what it is? 
Below are more pictures of Owen. He's so happy when he's free to do whatever he wants. 
Have you seen a professional sport recently? Like it or hate it?

24 comments:

  1. Hmm...a fishing pole that can catch two fish at once? Or a double bladed battle axe. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tree? A plane? A baby brother? ;) Last was a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A baseball bat? Dunno! Did you figure it out?

    I went to a Nationals opening week game. It was great! We got a group of 12 to go, which was great fun. And amazingly, the Nats are pretty good this year. Yay, Strasburg!

    And Sharon, you might appreciate this book--http://www.amazon.com/Takes-More-Than-Balls-Understanding/dp/1602396310

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always say I love the ambiance of sporting events, though the games usually only hold my interest for about half. Maybe I just need Rob to teach me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. COTTON CANDY!

    I'm anti-sports on tv, but love watching anything in person. Except the SF Giants. I can watch them on tv. But that's it.

    Each year, we take the kids to a Giants game. Annabelle and Eleanor both adore it and whenever they see anyone playing any sport (soccer, baseball, etc.) they sometimes yell, "Goooooooo Giants!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!!! cotton candy!!

      hahaha my kids were chanting "Bust. Er. Pose. Y.!!" all day today.

      Delete
    2. Awww, Buster. Don't we all have a crush on him? I'm so happy he's back this season.

      Delete
  6. love love love all things baseball...the cotton candy and all the details that go with it! i took my daughter to a phillies game last season and she totally got swept up in the magic too. something about those bright lights and all the clapping and cheering, and people running around in circles and rooting for each other. love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watching sports is one of my ultimate comforts. I grew up watching sports with my dad and two brothers. It's spirit, drive, exhiliration. Being active really is a part of who I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm gonna go with cotton candy?? When I was little my dad and my older brother were HUGE baseball fans. (Phillies!) We used to travel around the country a lot and EVERYWHERE we went we would see a baseball game. I got very used to sitting through them, was bored often, usually didn't understand the game, but also had a lot of fun and really good memories. I remember my sister and I used to love to get ice cream in the bowls that were shaped like baseball caps and then we would save the bowls. Lots of years of wearing baseball caps waaay too big for me! Now I love to go to baseball games. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally see cotton candy now!

      Delete
    2. YES!!! Cotten candy!! ha

      I totally remember getting those ice cream in the hats too when I was a kid in Florida! I forgot about that. Do they still have them?

      Delete
  9. Sharon, did you ever go to watch a game at the AT&T park in SF? I am a huge Giants fan and I love ball games. The park here is enough to make anyone go to a game!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely love Citi Field. My husband and I are huge baseball fans, and we visited Citi Field and 3 other parks last year when we went on a baseball stadium road trip. Citi Field was my favorite. I still close my eyes and remember our time there.

    Here's a post I wrote about it: http://movesincircles.blogspot.com/2011/09/citi-field-our-new-york-oasis.html

    P.S. Did Oscar want a foam finger?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love baseball. It is a game of subtleties and statistics. It is not dull at all, especially when you understand how the game is played. Looks like you guys had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of my best friends was also at this game. Didn't get her take yet, but she's a baseball fanatic.

    You're sweet to adopt sports appreciation for your husband. I tolerate, but rarely support. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. giants v. pirates a week or so ago. giants won! "i like my posey shaved and my wilson hairy" go giants!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun that you and the family got to go to a game and root for the Bay! I grew up in a family that LOVES sports and actually stopped watching when I got married. In the last year, my husband has discovered his love for watching sports and now I'm back! It's so fun to cheer with family and friends, all hoping our team will win.

    Go Giants!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I came from a big sports watching family and I think my husband is happy since I love having them on in the background to do chores too or whatever since it makes me think of being a kid and he gets to watch what he wants. Now that we live in Sweden though I often read while he watches since I cannot understand the commentary anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this thing for Buster Posey.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What exciting . With your family . You must have a happy life here . The boy is so handsome ..hhha .

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger