5/3/12

Celebrating Mother's Day with Girlfriends

that's my pink arse and white napkin on the floor. 
Joanna of Cup and Jo invited me and some friends to a brunch last Saturday to celebrate Mother's Day. Everything about the morning was amazing--the friends (some old and new), the food, the beautiful setting.  I hope it turns into a new tradition! Celebrating motherhood with girlfriends on a beautiful Saturday morning felt just about perfect.


Of course the topic of motherhood came up. It's so easy to find something to talk about regarding motherhood, even with people I've just met. Raising boys and their endless supply of energy was discussed. One mother had twins, so we instantly had something to chat about. Before we started eating, Joanna asked everyone to write a quirky family rule or tradition we had growing up in a Pinhole Press notebook.  I thought of my dad's vegetable rule.

Some nights, but not all, he would declare, "Tonight vegetables are MANDATORY!" We all knew there was no arguing about mandatory veggie night. We better eat up! I don't remember him truly enforcing this rule, but he declared it enough that I still remember it. I've tried proclaiming it with my kids, but it never comes out the same. He had a strength and ironic tone that I just can't seem to match.




I would have had no problem if someone declared mandatory veggie day at the brunch. Find all the recipes here. I wouldn't change a thing--the food was perfect. Especially the dessert (pictured below)!



Top picture from Jamie Beck's post on the event. Other pictures by Karen Mordechai of Sunday Suppers. Click here to see all the pictures she took.  It was so nice to enjoy the breakfast knowing I could snatch these images from other people!

Two more pictures slightly of me after the jump! ha




photo by jamie beck
photo by leigh from marvelous kiddo's instagram

15 comments:

  1. Very cute outfit. I love the maxi hot pink skirt with the gray tee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Sunday Suppers but the motherhood theme for this event rocks! And so does your skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is that lovely pink skirt from? So darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!! I got it on sale at the Gap in Dec 2011. I just checked, it's not there anymore. i'm sure they will make one similar soon. They always seem to repeat the same stuff season after season. i'll keep you posted if i spot it! :)

      Delete
  4. 'that's my pink arse and white napkin on the floor'

    Do you know how much I love your blog?

    I love your style, writing, humour, but most of all, I love your honesty. I think your blog is one of the few blogs which not only leaves the reader daydreaming about living in NY with three adorable kids and going to lovely brunches like this one, but ALSO at the same time never leaves the reader feeling inadequate because we don't. You had me at the post about not brushing teeth!:-) If only all mothers would be this open about all the downs as well as the ups, women everywhere would be so much happier.

    That didn't come out as eloquently as I wanted it to, but I think you deserve a medal for this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow!! thank you much for this thoughtful message! it was the first thing I read this morning. Great way to start my day :)

      Delete
  5. "Tonight vegetables are MANDATORY!" D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stumbled across your blog... and I LOVE it! I'm always looking for more NYC blogs. I think it's the best way to find out things to do, places to go, restaurants to try, date night ideas, etc.

    ...and I'm loving that pink skirt. I'm on the hunt for a flattering maxi skirt... so far, it's not a good look for me, but I'm determined that there WILL be one that WILL look good!! haha

    Cheers. Have a good weekend :D

    (ah geez... looks like I'm not the only one who likes the skirt! EVERYONE before me commented on it! I think that justifies telling us all where you got it :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I know--maxi's are really hard to find. i snatched this one up the minute i realized it didn't make me look dumpy.

      here's a message i just wrote to another reader. hope it helps!!
      I got the pink skirt on sale at the Gap in Dec 2011. I just checked, it's not there anymore. i'm sure they will make one similar soon. They always seem to repeat the same stuff season after season. i'll keep you posted if i spot it! :)

      Delete
  7. I love the pink skirt too! Where's the white shoes and orange lipstick?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Carina above. I was hooked on your blog after reading your refrigerator/inlaw post from a few months back. You remind me of what it was like living in NY, except at the time I did not have my two beautiful little girls. This particular post really makes me miss the gorgeous food options that NY has to offer. Being stuck out here in the cultural desert of Scottsdale - I miss the big city more than ever. Thanks for sharing your wonderful stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pictures are beautiful! What a great way to honor these beautiful moms on mother's day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger