5/30/12

Ella: The Dress That Makes Her Do A Giant Spin!

pic taken in chelsea market
A few weekends ago I met Joanna Goddard's twin sister Lucy and the subject of clothes/fashion came up.  She mentioned Joanna once said that everything you wear should make you want to do a little dance. I just searched the phrase "a little dance" on Joanna's blog and sure enough I found her post about it from two years ago. Still--it was fresh content to me! I love this idea and plan on using it from here out.

The thing is, with out realizing it, this phrase has been the reason why I keep buying Ella this dress by American Apparel. Every time she puts it on, she spins! Perhaps for young girls the word "little dance" should be replaced with "giant spin"! 


Beyond the spinning factor, it's totally practical. I love that when she sits down, it's long enough to cover her knees. It's super easy to clean and has an organic cotton option for the same price.  It's a complete outfit--no need to find all the pieces. It's so comfortable. It can be dressed up (add a shiny belt) or down (wear it plain). It's it's it's perfect. I wish I could buy it in my size. I need a spinning dress, too!
So for all those who asked where I got Ella's green dress in the recent photo shoot, now you know. And don't forget to enter the huge giveaway! Ends Monday. :)

18 comments:

  1. Awesome! do you buy her actual size or do you think she could do smaller? I was wanting to buy one for a normal height, but skinny 8 year old and was sad to see they only go to size 6. I think she could fit into it, but am worried about it being a bit too short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter (she's 6) is usually too small for clothes, but this size 6 dress fits her perfect. I think the size 6 would be too small for your 8 year old. Unfortunately the only material the size 8 comes in is VELVET. Too hot for summer, but great for fall/winter :)
      http://www.amazon.com/American-Apparel-Stretch-Velvet-Skater/dp/B006VXR29M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338419037&sr=8-1

      Delete
  2. When I first saw the beautiful top picture, I thought it was pulled from a scene in the remake of "Great Expectations." I love that movie and the pretty little girl who dances with the young Fynn. What a happy post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margeaux was wearing this dress in green today! She loves it and twirls her little butt off every single time she wears it (we also have it in blue). Maybe we should have a twirl-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for answering my question! I'm heading to AA tomorrow to nab one! Trina

    ReplyDelete
  5. well that is it-i need to tidy my wardrobe-i have things in there that i do not want to dance in when i wear them

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can buy a similar fit and flair kind of dress for yourself at H&M! They have a couple different colors, plus some with stripes and polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good tip! i bet half the price too :) i should check it out. thanks :)

      Delete
  7. My daughter is wearing the green version of this dress today too! She has been twirling since she got dressed. She also has the pink one, but we love it so much I might buy it in every color. I was thinking the same thing (about wanting one for myself), so I might have to check out H&M this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, that is so cute of you:) haha, i agree with that advice but don't always follow it!! ella is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pic at the CM. Five years here and I've yet to visit. Gotta travel outside of Brooklyn a bit more, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! Growing up, this phenomenon was known in my family as "twirl factor." It is very important. So much so that now that I am an adult, I am still known (only by my husband...) to test the twirl factor of my dresses and skirts. It does add that special something!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha, I love your funny approach to dressing up/down a KID outfit! Come on! It's such a madame way of thinking about clothing. A kid would never come and tell you, mama can i dress this dress down?

    Needless to say, one day when i have a little princess... I'll get back to you on this ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the spin. clothes should make you this happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. As spring opens in the weather to having the ability to shun winter clothing, everyone is searching for that perfect party karen millen dresses for ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughter LIVES in her purple velvet skater dress, but will wear her blue jersey one too. I found your blog through their site... Trying to decide which color to go with next.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress looks great, the lace-up back makes it almost impossible to not get a perfect fit. The only small issue I have is the straps are too short, but I'll make it work by adding some length to the back of them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger