5/15/12

My Hollywood Obsession/Girl Crush: Lena Dunham

Lena Dunham in Tiny Furniture (It's a shame about his fedora isn't it?)
Such a relief to see an actress/writer/directer like Lena Dunham. I'm suddenly obsessed with her. Seeing her name on everything as the credits scroll down on the end of her movie Tiny Furniture and her HBO show Girls is great. Love that she does it all.

Not only that, but if she's where the standard of beauty is headed, I'm in luck! Move over all you Zooey Deschanel look-a-likes, and make room for all of us Lena Durham's!

You can see why I took it personal when my husband Rob said, "Yeah, she's great and all, but I find her hard to look at." ha! I've since forgiven him. You should have heard him back pedaling out of that plunder.


When casting for her HBO show Girls Lena said: "I don't look like everybody that you usually see on television. I wanted to make sure to cast actresses who were beautiful, but beautiful the way that your sexiest friend is beautiful not beautiful the way that someone who is on a CW show is beautiful." Bravo. More directors like Lena please! 

Also, I wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped on the first day of fundraising.
Abbey Nova (and Alex!) 
Alex Williams 
Amanda Preston 
Anonymous 
Daniela Mikusova 
Hillary Hansen 
Joanna Goddard 
Katrina Wilson 
Melissa Graveline 
Ms. Jodie Arnaudov 
Toby Goddard-Williams 
Victoria
Yesterday we raised $452! Yay!

I'm raising funds to run in the 2012 ING New York City Marathon with Fred's Team! 
The goal: Raise $3,500 for breast cancer research by race day November 4th. 
Please help me by donating to my run.

14 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying Girls (and Tiny Furniture is in my Netflix instant queue) and this is one of the first articles I've read with praise for it! As somebody who spent my 20s living in Brooklyn, I find a lot of it rings true with my lifestyle then. Plus, each episode has me cracking up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, seriously? I LOVE her! And love love loved "Tiny Furniture". I just read another blogger's review and she made the greatest point about all the backlash about lack of racial diversity on the show. How often do you see ANY faces on TV that deviate from the standard of ideal beauty? She rocks, plain and simple! Great piece! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched this week's episode and it completely brought me back to an experience from my 20's when I broke up with a long-term boyfriend. Wow! When does TV really successfully make you think of your own past? For me, not often. Lena is awesome.

    The show, while I cringe watching it sometimes, is definitely something special. And the cast of women are a huge reason why it works and why people can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I don't think you look like her. I want to watch that show, sounds like it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Girls and REALLY loved Tiny Furniture. Felt like my twenties before I got married (there was even a little shout out to Wicker Park!) I like Lena, but I have a huge girl crush on her costar Jemima Kirkke more, I wrote about it here: http://www.11thandshannon.com/2012/04/inspired-by-jemima-kirke.html

    (She's a young mom too!)

    Shannon

    PS- Congrats on raising so much already! I'll be linking to it and tweeting about it, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your welcome! I'm pulling for you. Best of luck training, download some awesome music and run that beautiful city of yours. I'd be lyning if I said I wasn't a little jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love love love the show. it's so funny. hard to watch, though--by the end, with all the awful guys they know, i'm always drained:) by the girls are HILARIOUS. am in love with all four.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger