6/28/12

Supplies for Your Expert Butterfly Catchers


I got suckered into buying these butterfly nets from the farm's gift shop last Saturday. At the time I was annoyed at myself for giving in to my kids every want and desire, but now I'm glad I did. We've had so much fun and success with these things. We've gone butterfly hunting twice--once at the farm, the other time at Governor's Island. Can you believe we've caught a total of 16 butterflies? Ella made sure to keep track. Owen caught two in one swoop!  Skillz.

The kids had the most success trapping a butterfly while it was on the ground. Once caught, we use the catch and release method (like fishing). Bonus: It's such good exercise. My kids wore themselves out running after these crazy creatures. Here's a few supplies if you too would like to try a butterfly adventure this summer. It's the best!

Schylling Creature Catcher Nets When I bought these nets from the gift shop, I asked if they had a life time warrenty. Eh, no. But the nets have endured two outings flawlessly despite boys standing in them, holding soccer balls in them, ect. So far so good. I like that they're solid wood with a metal frame. No plastic parts! That helps.

Insect Creature Peeper. Magnifies the creatures 3x their size! I don't own it, but it's tempting.

Butterfly Pavilion. Owen's teacher gave him this butterfly house on the last day of school. It's a fun way to keep track of all the butterflies we collect during the day. I can't wait to release them all at once. Got to stick to my no pets policy. :)

And a here's few butterfly books I plan on checking out from the library: National Geographic: Butterflies, My, Oh My--A Butterfly!From Caterpillar to Butterfly, Where Butterflies Grow,Waiting for Wings, (of course) The Very Hungry Caterpillar.


Catch and Release!
So agressive. Watch out butterflies.
Catch and Pose.
F it.
Rob, the laziest butterfly catcher ever. This method yielded zero butterflies FYI. 

17 comments:

  1. Ha - that's so funny about Rob, too! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool "toy" to buy! Lots of healthy running! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ella's face! The intensity!! hahaaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha i love rob. smoochies to you guys!!! see you next week!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh I love this! I think it's a great learning tool- what better way to learn about bugs?

    ReplyDelete
  6. are those pink natives on one of your boys? if so am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha well, technically they are considered "hot sauce red". but yes, they do look very pink. i'm surprised my daughter hasn't spilled the beans to them yet. so far no one's said anything!

      Delete
    2. hahaha that's funny. Pink is such a touchy subject amongst boys of parents - some parents wouldn't DREAM of putting pink on their sons - yet most of the Dads/Husbands wear it regularly themselves (ie. my hubby) whereas many boys love pink themselves until they get to the ew... that's too girly age. I think it's how we approach it as parents!

      Delete
  7. hihihihi
    the boys look like they are on a mission, so funny

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter is the spitting image of Reese Witherspoon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. can I just say I LOVE your writing! Your sense of humor and wit shines through in the best way. "This method yielded zero butterflies, FYI" HAHAHAHA!!! I always smile when I come here. THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger