7/10/12

Camp Mom: Are You With Me?


I'm trying to give my kids (and myself!) the summer of a lifetime, but my camp counselor skills are already starting to fade. Usually by 1pm, I need a nap. But I'm not the only one in this family!

Take our trip to The Met. I tried to over compensate my attitude by buying audio tours for all the kids. Ella and her cousins loved them. My boys were too tired to figure out how to use these simple devises, which led to griping and crying. I had no tolerance for whining by that point of the day. Luckily Aunt Emily was with us. She listened to me whine and, then, somehow she distracted my boys with a book scavenger hunt in the Egyptian room.

Sometimes I like going on outings with just me and my kids.  That way, I don't worry about my friends seeing us at our worst, I'm free to check my email at anytime without guilt, I can be late, my kids have all my attention, etc. Other times, however, I'm so thankful to have a friend around.  Our trip to the Met was one of those days I needed Emily. Desperately. 

Do you prefer to go on outings with your kids alone?  Or do you have a friend that's always up for an adventure? Those kind of friends are hard to find but so invaluable. I consider myself extremely lucky to have two up-for-anything-friends in the city!

13 comments:

  1. Siri Hauge SolbakkenJuly 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM

    How I could relate to this post!! Sitting by the computer planning another short trip with my tree kids (8, 5 and 2) to make sure they have the best summer holiday of their life :-) Have had a couple of events this week that made me feel exactly as you described - good to know I am not the only one :) Lucky to have friends that are up for anything! Been at one of thems house today to pick strawberries (3 kilos!) and swim in their pool! What an event. Wishing you a good summer. From Norway:) LOVE your blog! Siri

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think you are great-not everyone spends such active time with their children. it is tough. your daughter is the cutest thing (looks)-still doesn't make it easier

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, Ella looks so gangster in that photo! And you're an awesome mom. I'd need a nap WITHOUT the kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I typically just take my kids out alone or with my husband. I don't often go out with other moms, as their kids' rowdiness is too much on top of my own kids. I end up feeling overwhelmed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I forgot to mention above, you won my ebook giveaway! If you are still interested, let me know the email I should give the author so she can send you your copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done both - with friends and without. It's great to have those friends who really like your kid(s) and vice versa. And they get along. And you have similar parenting philosophies. Just a pleasure.

    We were just in NYC (we go a few times a year) and our strategy for museums is to hand over the bb or iPhone for the girl to take photos. The audio commentary is a great idea too - I'll do that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just an idea...if you end up headed to a museum on your next outing.... coverup the description of the art with your hand (if your children are reading ) then ask what they think the art work is titled.... uncover the description and you will be surprised at how accurate they will be....it actually is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, there is nothing more aggravating than when you really try to make a nice day for the kids and then they whine. (Our poor mom- I wish I could give her a big hug right now and say I'm so sorry for all the times I acted like a brat!) I had the kids home for one week then signed them up for real camp since I work from home and got nothing done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, my favorite "friend" when I go out is my 8 year old neise. She follows my 1 year old around when I need a break! Love her.

      Delete
  9. This is my 5th year at camp and I'm already struggling with my energy levels and it's only about two weeks into the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hiya, love your blog...
    I noticed your daughters tank dresses and would love them for my daughter. May I ask where you got them?
    Cheers,
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya, love your blog...
    I noticed your daughters tank dresses and would love them for my daughter. May I ask where you got them?
    Cheers,
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger