12/20/12

Popovers: The Perfect Christmas Breakfast

One of my favorite local restaurants is Popover Cafe. I didn't even know what a popover was until I went there and they served us those giant warm buttery puffs. You can order it filled with anything from strawberry butter, to eggs Benedict, to an ice cream sundae (here's some other ideas I found). I've tried them all! Delicious. I was thinking I'd pick up a few on Christmas Eve and serve with butter for breakfast the next morning. Sounds simple enough if I plan ahead which I never do so my kids will probably be served candy canes for breakfast but isn't it so fun to fantasize the perfect morning?

I've tried to make popovers myself, but they didn't turn out as big and billowy as the cafes. The founder of Popover Cafe, Carol Baer, gave me two tips. 1.) Preheat the cups/pan. 2.) Let the batter get to room temperature.  Also, I might have discovered why mine weren't as big: I accidentally bought the mini popover pan. Don't make the same mistake! Buy the grand size one for shock value.  Below is the simplest recipe I've found that comes close to the restaurants. If you don't live near Popover Cafe, follow the recipe below to make an impressive breakfast on Christmas morning. Or just forget this whole idea and order candy canes. 

Ingredients: 
6 Eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups Flour
1 tsp salt
4 ounces unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly

Directions: 
1. Place popover pan in oven, set to 450 degrees.
2. Measure the eggs, milk, flour, salt, and half the butter (1/4 cup) into the jar of a blender.
3. Mix batter until combined, around 25 seconds. *Let batter get to room temperature.*
4. Remove pan from oven, grease with remaining butter and fill each cup with batter. Anywhere from 1/2 to 3/4 full depending how wild your popovers to get!
5. Place back oven, bake for 15 minutes.
6. Rotate tins, lower temp to 350 degrees, bake 10 more minutes.
7. Serve immediately or store.
I bought these popovers from the cafe this morning and brought them to work. they were devoured. Someone even said, "Wow, Sharon! You just made this the best morning ever!" haha work chat.

12 comments:

  1. Popover?? This is a Yorkshire Pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a Yorkshire Pudding. The easiest way to make them huuuuge is in fact to heat some oil in the muffin tin holes while you make the batter and pour the mix into the hot tin, rather than heating the oven with them already in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had Yorkshire Pud's with nearly every roast meal I had in England. I've never considered them as a breakfast food or to be filled with anything. Intersting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely a Yorkshire Pud to us Brits. Wonderful with a roast beef dinner. As kids, if there were any left over (rarely!) we would tear them open and spread jam (preserve) inside - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make them for breakfast too. Sooo good. I made them growing up! I taught my kids how to make them too: http://www.classic-play.com/cooking-with-kids-popovers/

    Oh and I call them popovers too ;) And yes, they're delicious with butter and jam or honey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In the south of Germany they are called "Pfitzauf" - love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great idea for breakfast on Christmas morning. I am having a few family members here and will have biscuits to throw in the oven, but these are a fabulous addition. i'm going to try to pop over there as well. thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow!! These look fabulous, definitely going to give these a go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. móc lốp dũng lồn mu private cho thuê nhà trọ nhạc sàn cực mạnh tư vấn pháp luật qua điện thoại công ty luật tổng đài tư vấn pháp luật dịch vụ thành lập công ty

      Hạt châu thiên nghịch sau khi hấp thu ngũ hành thổ tinh sinh ra một biến hóa kỳ dị. Nếu như bình thường, mặc dù Vương Lâm tránh được thiên nghịch bên trong hạt châu, thì cũng quyết không thể kéo dài đến năm năm.

      Nhưng sau khi thổ thuộc tính đại viên mãn, thời gian Vương Lâm có thể lưu lại ở bên trong không gian thiên vượt xa trước kia.

      Một điều tối trọng yếu nữa là, hôm nay ngũ hành thổ thuộc tính của hạt châu đã viên mãn, điều này cũng sinh ra một loạt biến hóa, đáng ra vốn bên trong không có linh khí, không ngờ lần này lại có một tia linh khí tồn tại.

      Linh khí này, so với bên ngoài thì tinh thuần hơn. Có điều Vương Lâm chưa từng thấy qua tiên giới khí bao giờ, cho nên không thể so sánh, nhưng theo cảm nhận của hắn, thì có lẽ kém hơn tiên giới khí một chút.

      Ngoài ra, biến hóa lớn nhất, là không gian thiên nghịch này xuất hiện những vệt sáng dài, chúng ngưng kết toàn bộ lại thành một thể, giữa không trung bên trong không gian thiên nghịch hình thành năm quang đoàn thật lớn.

      Delete
  9. I used to hate my old apartment, it didn't have enough space for me to add an oven. It was a cold eight months since I've baked. Now that I'm in my new apartment, I am so glad to finally be able to make my mom's cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nếu U21 HAGL thắng được U19 Hàn Quốc thì đó sẽ là món quà tinh thần tuyệt vời mà lứa Công Phượng, Tuấn Anh gửi đến người thầy Graechen đúng vào ngày Nhà giáo Việt Nam 20-11. Cách đây 1 năm, nhà cầm quân người Pháp đã cùng với dàn cầu thủ trẻ của học viện làm ngây ngất hàng triệu khán giả Việt Nam khi đánh bại U21 Thái Lan 3-0 để giành chức vô địch Giải U21 quốc tế 2014. Đó là danh hiệu đầu tiên và cũng là duy nhất của nhà cầm quân người Pháp với lứa Công Phượng, Tuấn Anh.
    đồ ngâm rượu
    http://dongamruou.vn/
    HLV Guillaume Graechen (biệt danh Giôm) cùng đồng hành,
    ba kích
    bán ba kích
    ba kích khô
    nấm ngọc cẩu
    ban nam ngoc cau
    sâm cau
    mua sâm cau
    bán sâm cau khô

    Dù vậy, ông Tuấn cũng tái khẳng định đội bóng trẻ phố núi sẽ không làm phụ lòng người hâm mộ khi tiếp tục trình diễn lối chơi cống hiến đã làm say lòng khán giả gần 2 năm qua. Chưa kể, quyết tâm bảo vệ chức vô địch của U21 HAGL cũng đã truyền thêm lửa cho đội chủ giải là U21 Việt Nam khi HLV Phạm Minh Đức khẳng định các học trò của ông cũng không ngán đội bóng trẻ phố núi cũng như đặt mục tiêu vô địch giải đấu năm nay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger