1/17/13

Weekend Recipe: Mediterranean Veggie Stew


I've been challenged by my editor to write more recipes for Elizabeth Street. Last Thursday I posted a Mediterranean Veggie Stew Recipe. I love this recipe because it can be easily adapted for everyone. It can go from a vegetarian to a vegan meal simply by eliminating the yogurt. Then, there's my husband who feels like vegetarian meals are side dishes. For him, I grill up chicken or fish while the stew is sautéing. I throw it on top as an after thought. So really, this meal satisfies all. Except my kids. Who cares what they think anyway?
chicken as a garnish. whatever ROB!! ha
Mediterranean Veggie Stew

Ingredients 
1 32 oz carton vegetable stock
1 cup couscous
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 sprigs each mint and parsley
1 shallot, chopped
2 to 4 large garlic cloves (to taste)
1 cup canned chickpeas
1 cup frozen peas
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 small cauliflower, cut into florets
1/2 cup black olives, pitted and cut in half
1 6 oz container plain Greek yogurt

Directions
1. Boil the entire carton of vegetable stock in a pot. Measure 1 cup couscous in a bowl and add 1 1/2 cups of stock. Cover for ten minutes. Reserve remaining stock pot to use later in recipe.

2. Meanwhile, do your prep work: chop the mint and parsley, dice the onion and garlic, separate the cauliflower into flowerettes, and drain the chickpeas.

3. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the onion, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes, then add the garlic. Cook together for about 30 seconds, until the mixture is fragrant, then add the can of tomatoes. Continue to cook, still stirring frequently, until the tomatoes have cooked down slightly, about 5 to 10 minutes.

4. Add the tomato paste, stock, and cauliflower to the saucepan, and bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer 10 minutes until the cauliflower is tender. Season with salt and pepper.

5. Add the peas and chickpeas to the stew and cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat and add the olives.

6. Fluff the couscous and serve it in wide bowls or mound onto plates and top with the stew. Garnish with mint, parsley and yogurt.

Yield: 2 to 4 servings.

Recipe adapted from a meal I received from Hello Fresh.


Here's a few more tried and true recipes from the past:

8 comments:

  1. "Super easy and unfailing delicious" Count me in! Looking forward to giving this a try.

    And love the new logo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha my copy editor wrote that line. i should have noted: my kids didn't like it. hahaha i love it though!!! to me it really it super easy and unfailing delicious.

      Delete
  2. Yum! Still dying to try Hello Fresh, need to get my cooking act together! Ugh, so hard at 8 months pregnant though. Haha, I love your honesty that your kids don't like it!

    Also love the new logo, feels fresh and suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, my husband is the same - a meatatarian! Whenever I do a veggie dinner he cracks open a tin of tuna even if it clashes with the dish - ew.... oh well, no use arguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. fam loved it. next time I will substitute dill for parsley!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger