2/11/13

Mardi Gras King Cupcake

i finally planned ahead and used use a photographer and the light room at my office to take this picture.
Makes a huge difference. See more pics here.  
Over the weekend, I tested out my Mardi Gras King Cupcakes idea with the kids. It was so fun! According to tradition, every Mardi Gras party needs a King Cake. Inside each cake is a trinket, usually a plastic baby, to represent Jesus. The person who finds the baby in their slice of cake is proclaimed King or Queen of the party.

While my homemade version is nowhere near as professional looking as this one I did for Elizabeth Street, I was happy with the results. After Owen pulled the baby out of his cupcake and was made king, he demanded he wanted to eat all the cupcakes, use his middle fingers as much as he wanted (thanks Mr.Bean), decorate a Christmas Tree (?) and make Oscar his servant. I suggested we just have a dance party with New Orleans jazz music instead. He seemed cool with that option.

I was surprised Oscar and Ella didn't fuss too much about not winning. I guess the rings kept them satisfied and happy enough. They ignored Owen's ridiculous demands as they tore it up the dance floor. It's crazy what even the slightest bit of power can do. Eh boy.

Mardi Gras is tomorrow if you need an excuse to party twice this week! Click here to read my super simple instructions to make your very own child-safe King Cake.
i was missing a few key ingredients like eggs and milk and even cupcake liners. haha 
I found these rings in the clearance bin at Anthropologie for $10. Sadly, I can't find them online.  

Blurry pictures of the dance party after the jump. Happy Mardi Gras!


See them in action on this Vine video I made.
for the most part Owen danced on his "throne", only coming down to join the peasants for the conga line. 

Related:
Oscar Dancing (Video!)
New Orleans Wedding (everyone should have one)

4 comments:

  1. Let them eat cake!:) Looks like a fun parte':) Happy Mardi Gras! Where are the beads?
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha good point! i didn't have eggs or milk or liners OR BEADS. that party was the worst mardi gras party ever!! haha

      Delete
  2. Oh they're are ridiculously adorable. Ella looks like such a hipster!!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good day. Very cool web site!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds also…I’m glad to find this article. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger