5/22/13

Birthday Present Success: Kids Regifting. They start so young these days.

Last Saturday we attended Toby's Birthday party. My kids were stoked to get something for him. Ella decided to draw him a picture and write a story. Oscar got him balloons. And then Owen. He was set on giving his dear friend Toby his old broken Mater Truck. The batteries are dead, the remote control is missing, and it's the size of most NYC kid's bedrooms.

On our way out our door I said, "It's rude to give your friend an old used toy for their birthday. Let's get him something else. Please?" Owen didn't say a word, just looked at me with his wide confident eyes and nodded his head in disagreement. As we were waiting for the elevator, Owen noticed a half role of Christmas wrapping paper in the recycling bin. Our neighbor must have been doing some spring cleaning. He walked over to pick it up and said, "Great! All we need is tape." Great.

We walked to the store and bought a few helium balloons and a roll of tape. Owen proudly wrapped his truck in the middle of the store, instructing me where to put the tape. When we got to the party, he looked at me seriously and whispered without moving his lips, "Don't, mom. Don't tell anyone that this used to be my toy. He's going to like it. I know it."
And sure enough, Toby didn't question the gift and happily played with Mater in the grass. While Owen watched, he came up to me and said, "Seeeeee. Told you he was going to love it." He was right. It was actually kind of sweet. Owen used to love this truck when he was around Toby's age. He even brought it out to display during this photoshoot. It's one of my favorite pictures of Owen (below). I'm happy to see the truck passed on to a new dude.

Yet, despite the sweetness of it all, I gave Toby's mom the option to throw the truck out on the way home from the party. I hope she took me up on my offer. There's nothing worse than being stuck with a giant broken toy, even if it is a sheet of Christmas paper away from being the best regift ever.
Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. I love this story! My kids often want to re-gift/recycle their old toys. And although I fear coming off as the uncool Mom giving the used toy, I think it's really so sweet how they just want to share the love they had for the toy with the friend they care about. I also always tell the receiving Mom, "please feel free to trash it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. If "broken" means that it no longer makes noise, then it's a keeper!! Plus, re-gifting is to reduce waste. I call it green-gifting! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha never heard of green gifting. totally using it for all my kids christmas presents this year.

      Delete
  3. That is a simply adorable story. It really is the thought that counts. Your kid gets it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so sweet:)
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Owen must get his awesomeness from you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think regifting is an awesome choice, especially if it's something that is (or was) truly loved by the giver. and broken, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. huge high five to owen for knowing what's up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice trench coat...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these crossover posts! Love Ella's sweet expression as she looks at Toby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Owen and my husband would get along swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your daughter totally looks like Reese Witherspoon's daughter! So cute. & that trenchcoat? Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger