8/17/11

How to get kissed on top of the Empire State Building


The Empire State Building is known as one of the most romantic places in NYC, but it has to be done just right or else it could feel like any other tourist trap. I went with my kids and parents once. It was fun. But romantic? No way. So last week for our anniversary, I wanted to try it again. And this time, I wanted do things differently to see if the Empire State Building really could be romantic.


1. Timing. This is most important. Go after the crowds die down at 12am. Last elevator up at 1:15am and everything closes at 2am.
2. Bad Weather. Go on a rainy day/cold/imperfect weather day. You'll have the place to yourself. We went on a day that I swore we would cancel due to rain, but right before we went up, the sky cleared.
3. Plan ahead. Buy tickets before you get there and avoid the hassle of waiting in line. Thanks NYCTrip.com for sending me tickets ahead of time! When I got to the building, I felt like Meg Ryan breezing right to the 86th floor at the end of Sleepless in Seattle. She must have planned ahead too. ha
4. Your date. Go with your favorite person in all the world.
5. Wait for right moment. There will be people asking you to take their picture and a few packs of giggling girls, but I promise you'll get a moment that can only be filled with a kiss. Wait for it.
6. Exit Though the Gift Shop. Afterwards, buy something cheesy from the gift shop. We bought an Empire State Building cookie and a coke. When we walked out of the building, we found a bench and tried to look all the way to the top of the building. The cookie was surprisingly good.
7. Flowers. Flowers on the walk home completes the night.  Even if they are carnations.


So did my plan work? Of course. The kiss? As good as any movie. Happy Anniversary Rob. Love you.



18 comments:

  1. I ADORED this post!! You're right; I so often equate traveling to the top of the Empire State building with fending off tourists with cameras, but a late night trip up there could be mighty romantic! I can't believe I've lived here 12 years and never gone up. Now it's my goal to go up before summer is over. Thanks for the inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You two are the sweetest! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog makes me smile every single morning. Your sense of humor always comes shining through. I have been to NYC many times, but you show me a city through fresh eyes. Stay that way. Thank you for being one of the first blogs I read every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You gave me chills. Ahh, I want to feel like Meg Ryan! Taking a trip to NYC next time my bf is in town.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww this post just made me feel all warm and cozy inside. Happy anniversary to you!
    xo
    Alexa
    www.theshortandthesweetofit.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you had a great time on your date:) How did Rob like the date?:) Happy Anniversary:)
    ~Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ow, nice! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it - made me miss my husband! you look gorgeous - love the spots and the scarf in your hair. what a special, memorable date!

    www.simplystylishmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks everyone.

    Christine: yes, rob loved it too! it was great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an absolutely lovely post - this made me smile so much. Thank you for sharing! And re: the job hunt, as hard as it is, try not to let it crush your spirit - when the perfect job is meant to be, it will happen.

    Briony xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love them, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. even if they are carnations? those are gorgeous :) carnations are my new silly pleasure, so frilly & inexpensive! what a fun idea, maybe i'll have to pull myself out of my anti-tourism rut and take a trip with my husband to the top of our equivalent to your empire state building... the cn tower! (not quite as romantic i think)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so sweet. I love it!
    http://elizaoverthemoon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. I have never been to NYC, but would love to go, and get kissed on the Empire State Building! Just started following. So glad I found your blog. Looking forward to reading more.

    Mackenzie Field
    mackenziefield.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger