2/22/12

Times Square: The Truth


 Yesterday while in Times Square, we spent a ton of time outside on our scooters. But really, we spent most of the day at Toys R Us. I wanted to poke my eye balls out.

But then again, twice (twice!) Owen told me he was having the best day ever. Once while he gazed into the T-Rex eyes in the Jurassic Park section of Toys R Us. And another time when he was looking at the Lego sculptors. Ella had her moment as she road a display bike around the store. With the wind blowing in her hair, she exclaimed, "Oh, I want to live in the country!" Oscar didn't want to get out of this display Cadillac Escalade Power Wheels car. He kept opening and slamming the door shut like a tough guy.

We were there so long, we used the restrooms twice. All I can say is that I absolutely surrendered to my kid's demands to play in a cheesy toy store all day long. I didn't take any pictures because I was sure that there was noway I was writing about this on the blog. Nothing looked photogenic. Just a lot of plastic molded to look like different things. I was planning on taking pictures when we went outside to the large red staircase in the middle of Times Square. I tried to build it up: Look at the view kids! The lights?! All the people! But all I got were bored eyes and Owen's constant demand to check out the massive Disney Store.

So we walked down the stairs that I thought were relatively cool and headed to the Disney Store. 
But this time I took pictures while I wrote this post in my head.  




14 comments:

  1. I just found your blog and I love it! Can't wait to read more. We were just at Times Square with our kids and I can relate to the desire to poke your eyes out. Not exactly fun for mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I H-A-T-E Toys R Us. My kids don't know it exists yet and I plan to keep it that way as long as possible. Same goes for Disneyland. I sound like the Grinch, don't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie, I agree... as much as I would love for our sons to 'see' the city they live in they're just kids. My pet hate as a parent trying to get things done are those coin operated kiddy rides inside the shopping malls.

    Sharon, I've taken our sons to Toys R Us in areas around Sydney and nowhere can they play with the toys like you described.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO true, the things kids love, reminds me of a plane trip with my then 1 year old son, i sourced all these cool toys, wooden educational toys, books, i had a bag full of tricks. he played with the vomit bag the whole time, the whole time! it was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely adore this post! I am a Mom of 2 boys in the City, so I love reading about your adventures. Mine are still little (4 months and almost 2) but I can only hope to have a day like this in a couple of years! I never would have thought to scooter through Times Square. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post reminded me of a memory from when we were kids. One of the most magical times were when mom and dad would take us to Toys R Us and let us pick out anything we wanted at the end of the year for having good grades. We must have had a spending limit, but for me this was just so exciting. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know...but with kids, you just have to ride that S...L...O...W...ferris wheel at least once, and wait in the longest line to ride that S..L...oh wait, I already said that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW--is Times Square always that busy? I bet that sounds pretty silly to a New Yorker;) But seriously I love these pic's since I have never been to NY and can so totally relate to just caving and letting the kids have a hay day somewhere when I would much rather be elsewhere....but like you said then you would hear whining and crying as their eyes glaze over....and that might lead to what I call a "breakdown" in public...which I am not fond of;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When your boys are big and too-cool-for-school, they won't believe what little shoppers they were :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get this feeling all the time..."I can't blog about this." And, "The only way I can stomach another big box store is if I zone out and write a blog post about it in my head."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel your plastic fantastic pain! With my just turned 11 yr old let me tell you there is a light at the tunnel's ned - struck me recently we don't even glance at stores like that anymore - probably not for a couple of years at least. All 'good' things come to an end -! However - and you knew that was coming - we are now facing the challenging realities of texting and Skype. Jury is out on which era was more mind numbing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger