5/22/12

The Time I Tried to Make an Internet Cliche: Ombre Cakes


I know somewhere deep down in my soul that birthday parties can be done without themes or ombre cakes or picturesque paper straws. Especially parties for grown men.

That said, I totally made an ombre cake for my husband's birthday! ha! ha! Isn't there in old saying that goes: It's ok to copy, as long as you do it better? Well, not only have I copied an idea that's an internet cliche, but I've done it worse!

I would love to be the person to reinvent the ombre cake into something new and fresh, but I simple don't care about cakes that much. God bless the person who does. I'll be sure pin their pictures onto my Pinterest board and eventually try to make it myself two years later.

don't laugh. . .your ombre cake has a 95% chance of looking like this too. :) 
My attempt at an ombre cake turned out like blueberry pancakes because I only used one box of Funfetti cake mix. Each layer was soo thin. Also making things worse, I only own one cake pan. I had to cook the one layer, wait for it to cool, then cook the next. After one round of this nonsense, I asked a neighbor for an extra pan. That helped. While I was returning the pan, my kids squeezed past her door and weaseled themselves in for a surprise playdate.  She didn't seem to mind. I was happy to have her watch my kids so I could ice the cake in silence. I needed all the help I could get.



So that's that. I did it. Ombre cake can be checked off my internet cliche list. Now all I have to do is create fairies in a jar and make ice cream for breakfast and I'll feel all caught up. 
he didn't give a hoot about the blue layers although he was very eager to eat it. 
What's the internet cliche you've put off, but are secretly dieing to try? 


PS Owen wanted another slice of cake, we said no, so he clawed a piece for himself. This is what we're left with. So pretty! After the jump. Also, some more pictures from the party.




21 comments:

  1. It looks great!! Where did you guys end up going for dinner? And would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake is goooorgeous! Seriously love it. It looks homemade, and therefore, delicious.

    I've made so many epic fails off the internet... especially when it comes to baking. The biggest disaster was a strawberry no-bake pie. Something happened (and by something I mean me not reading directions properly), and it never solidified. When I went to pull it out of the fridge, I assumed it was firm, and haphazardly jerked it... spilling it all over the fridge of my snooty foodie ex-boyfriend. Whoopsy Daisey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never laugh! Feel free to visit my blog and witness my cake disasters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so hipster-glam ... even in your cake making skills. ha! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks Pinterest-perfect on his fork :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a wonderful attempt! I'm sure he loved the cake and the thought that went into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sharon, you're my kind of girl!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks really good, and the thin slices are just perfect! I mean, too much blue food colouring really can't be good for you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake still looks pretty awesome in my book! I appreciate you calling out all those internet cliches - they can be so over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so fun! Who cares what color it is--the variegation is delightful:).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate to admit it, but I totally want to try making stamps out of vegetables (i.e. lettuce stamps). It's something I pinned on Pinterest, but I never stamp (even with pre-made stamps), so I actually see myself doing it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this cake! It has so much more personality than a 'Martha Stewart' masterpiece. I've been wanting to try those tissue paper pom pom thingys for parties but they look so fiddly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! I'm part of a "cake club" at work. Every Friday it's someone different's turn to bring in a cake (that they made or bought). I think I'm going to try an ombre cake when it's my turn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's adorable! And I'll bet it tasted awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post makes me love you. Seriously! I hate reading "mommy blogs" that only show the tiny sliver of Perfect in their lives, knowing full well that there are plenty piles of laundry, messed up art projects, and boring dinners hiding behind their perfectly edited photos. I REALLY appreciate your realness, your willingness to share your "weaknesses" - aka, realness - with us.

    Keep on being Imperfect!! We all need more of that these days...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha! Rest assured that there is someone out there (me) that would have made it look even worse. I'm sure it tasted delicious, though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is why I love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger