8/16/12

FIRE ISLAND PICTURE DUMP

This is the last Fire Island post. Promise!

After the first day on the island, I walked over to my friend Joanna and asked, "So. We've played at the beach and the bay. Just curious. What else is there to do?" 

She responded with a slight panic in her voice, "Hmm. We could take a water taxi somewhere, but this is pretty much it." 

I was surprisingly thrilled with her answer. The island forced me to simplify my life and calm down. Once I realized I didn't have to squeeze in a million activities and subway/bus rides, I could finally relax for the first time since summer started. While my kids played in the water, I sat under a beach umbrella and read a book. It was nice that the water was really shallow, there was always a life guard, and my kids are pretty much swimmers. My life is finally getting easier . . . for now!

Here's some of my favorite pictures of the bay and the beach that we took with our iphones. FYI: We stayed in Dunewood! Loved it.
 We celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary while on the island. We left the kids with a babysitter and had dinner at the fanciest/only restaurant on our side of the island: Le Doc. Then we took a walk on the beach. Very romantic! This is the sunset from that night.

Keep reading to see more pictures I took using my Canon Rebel T2i .



Ice Cream everyday!

Found these toys on the beach. 
No cars on the island, just wagons and bikes. It's hard for the little ones to keep up. We cheered him on.
Go Toby! Go Toby!

catching the sun
Shark!!
love the mom in the background assuming the park position. could be me! 

14 comments:

  1. Love that butterfly kite picture! Fire Island looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet!!!! love these photos so much. my faves are the ella jumping photo & the shark!!! i want to beam myself back there right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fabulous. We are enjoying beach time with nothing much else to do - just what we need. Love the butterfly kites - must try to get one for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we were last in NYC we spent three days at the beach...so relaxing..and a good way to while away the time! Glad you were able to unwind!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that Jake and I have moved to Salt Lake, your blog is one of my happy places. Keep posting - I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i laughed out loud at the mum pose in the final picture! so true and so sad and so me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks just perfect! love your composition on these photos! keith laughs that my instagrams look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And you had said NY beaches were no good... See? Fire Island is awesome. You went to non-beaches before that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha oh! i love NY beaches, it's the NYC beaches that terrify me ;)

      Delete
  9. That shot of the sunset is amazing! Thanks for taking us on a vicarious trip through your trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The kids must have had an enjoyable evening..Lovely amazing pictures..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sharon, I love your blog as the pictures and places you take your family! I live in Astoria NY, and I always check you blog before planning something :o)
    I've never been in Fire Island before, would it be possible for you to tell where did you stayed in Dunewood? I'm trying to find a place for us that is not so expensive, but have had no luck! Thank you!!!!!!
    Big hugs, Andréa (villasba@rcn.com)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger