10/9/12

My First Day of Work at Elizabeth Street


I forgot to bring reading material on the subway on the way to work. No headphones either. I could have just sat there, but I was too nervous. Instead, I wrote.

Going to my first day of work. I was planning on writing all ideas for Elizabeth Street in this notebook. But I can't think of any right now. Everyone is wearing a jacket. I got rid of mine on the hottest day of summer. It was from Old Navy over five years ago. The label always embarrassed me when I left it on a coat rack. Or worse at coat check. Really I wish

And then I stopped writing because I was boring myself over coats. I stared at the ads on the subway until my stop and walked to my office with enough time to buy breath mints.

I love the work environment.  The large windows, the art, the people. It's a great space. But beyond all that, my boss made me feel so valuable to the team today. My favorite was seeing my ideas put on the calendar. Now I just have to show em what I got. I couldn't have asked for a better first day. On my way home, I texted Rob some of the highlights and wrote that I finally didn't feel like a loser. He responded:

Cool. Now go get those kids so they can yell at you and bring you back down to earth :)

It took about an hour, but they eventually did just that. Little stinks. It's good for me though. At least I can handle their tantrums a little better when I feel like my life finally figured out how to get good.

Here's some pictures of my office.  Everyone forgave me for being such a dork. I wasn't brass enough to take one of my workspace and coworkers behind the bookshelves though. Even I have my limits. I'll leave that to my second day. ;)


21 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like a very exciting day. I love the work space, looks like a welcoming creative space. Hope day 2 is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a thrill! It is always so fun walking in on your first day! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this workspace, its very creative and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a cool office! It is so inspiring that your blog has helped you land such an amazing job - congratulations. I discovered your blog through A Cup of Jo and I really enjoy reading it. You make me want to live in New York!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, congrats! My aunt was a stay at home mom for about 17 years and it was amazing to see how liberating it was for her to rejoin the workforce. I think that getting out of the house and being in an office makes a big difference in morale, etc--one you can bring back home to the kids :) That office is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hearing about you starting a new job - and appreciate the honesty in your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's gorgeous up in there. You're gonna be a superstar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, it looks like a wonderful place to work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sharon, I work the PR showroom next door to you (literally, on the same floor)! I'm a fan of your blog. Congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You crack me up with the jacket! Note to self: don't bring Old Navy jacket to NYC. hahhaaa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! Don't let those rugrats get you down...dealing with a sassy 3-year-old lady is by far my hardest job. That bar in the lunch room is so glamorous! Enjoy that new/excited work feeling, I hope it lasts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I don't think I ever commented before, but I just wanted to say I love your blog. You inspire me to be more 'honest' when blogging (sometimes I'm getting annoyed with all those blogs that only center on seemingly 'perfect' lives). Also, I love your approach to being a mom. You rock! And congrats on the new job! Love from Prague x

    ReplyDelete
  13. as soon as I started scrolling I found this: "Elizabeth Street Horoscope: October 22-28, 2012
    Let the AstroTwins give you some insight on what's in store for you and your family this week"?!!!

    do they really mean H O R O S C O P E?!

    I'd say you're to good for them :|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. as soon as I started scrolling I found this: "Elizabeth Street Horoscope: October 22-28, 2012
      Let the AstroTwins give you some insight on what's in store for you and your family this week"?!!!

      do they really mean H O R O S C O P E?!

      I'd say you're too good for them :|

      Delete
    2. haha. good news! this is the last week we're running that column :)

      Delete
  14. Pretty great office design if you ask me. I'm sure that's going to be a whole lot for the property management department to look after.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cool office layout! I'm sure the designer of the place took great pains making sure every sofa, table and cabinet chosen would have a place to fit into the whole picture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger