10/8/12

First Day of Work: Learning Adobe Illustrator (just in case!)

In preparation for my new job, I've been studying Illustrator like crazy.  I don't know if I'll need it, but I thought it would be a good skill to have just in case.  

I've had Adobe's Creative Suite on my computer for months, but the programs overwhelmed me.  To figure it out, I signed up for one of Nicole's Classes. Her classes came highly recommended and I can see why. Alma Loveland, my teacher for Illustrator 101, thought of everything--a book, video tutorials, step-by-step written instructions, chat sessions, and feedback. I'm so glad I bought both the course and book. After one week, I felt like I could do anything! Billboards even! And then week two started and I realize there's sooo much more to learn.  Regardless, it's been fun downloading free fonts, testing my skills and experimenting with the programs.  I'm looking forward to signing up for Illustrator 102, Principles of Good Design, Typography, and Photoshop classes soon. 

Attention Stylists: Oxford heels or flats with the dress? I have both. Not the ones pictured, but close. 

Dress from Anthropologie, necklace from J.Crew, and shoes from Madewell and Urban Outfitters (a long time ago.)

Keep reading to see the rest of my Illustrator homework. The assignment was to make a typography poster. I made three: a Halloween poster and two posters with quotes on it. One from Woody Allan's Manhattan and another from My So-Called Life.    




Watch the video of this movie here. I realize now this font is distracting from the message. Rookie mistake. My second attempt below. 
I wish this were true. I dedicate this one to Margaret Young and Wild Nails. 




21 comments:

  1. So exciting! I'm heavily in preparation for new jobs (hypothetical though they may be) and building up my skills set. I'm focusing on photoshop for now, but want to add Illustrator and InDesign also. I'm doing it all through Lynda.com, which I highly recommend. They even have a week's free trial, totally worth checking out. I can't believe how much I've learned in one week! Plus, it's just so damn exciting to be "back to school", even if it is from my home in my pjs.

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you! The outfit looks perfect. Please tell me the blogging won't slow down now that you have a "real" job?!? I look forward to it every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! thanks for this comment. i'll keep blogging for sure! :) thanks for reading.

      Delete
  3. This post made me so excited for you!! A first day at a new job is like the first day of school - exciting yet frightening. Love the outfit! Also, as soon as I read the third poster I exclaimed out loud, "Who could ever be over Jordan Catalano????" haha- Love My So Called Life. Good luck! You'll do awesome

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! You are going to do great Sharon! I'd go with the Oxford heels because I feel like people (or in my case, my students) pay more attention and listen more when I'm in heels! I don't do it everyday because, ouch, but I think it's a good way to start things off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the heels with the outfit. Maybe add a jacket to the dress as well? Good luck on your first day, I'm very happy for you. Just remember that the first day is usually just filled with introductions, paperwork, and overall pretty easy. I admre you that you took classes to further education yourself and expand your skills, kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Are you working full time? I will have to check out those classes. I think I would wear flats with a long skirt but would have to see both.
    -Another working mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I went with the flats. I'm working 30 hrs a week :)

      Delete
  7. congratulations! and wear the heels :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The american dream is playing again! congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been following your blog for some time and I am really really happy for such a great change in your life. You inspire me not to give up when searching for a job in a new country. Thanks for your optimism and looking forward to hear about your first day!

    A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your blog! Hope you kill it today!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The first thing that made me come back to your blog everyday was your honesty and simple way of sharing things. Hope the first day went smoothly and I liked your outfit choice. It is so inspiring to hear from a mum of three getting back to learning something and totally blows of all our excuses (as non parents yet). Let me compliment you for the design eye you have, clear yet playful, just to the point. The first and third posters are my favorites. Good luck and keep us updated :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would totally buy that last poster! My friend saw him at our public library a year or so after the show was cancelled. She was a total dork about it, but then he was a total jerk about it, so now I hate him forever for real.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i was about to vote for the flats and i see you chose the flats. congrats on the new gig - amazing opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a little late to the party here, but I thought it was so cool that you chose the J.Crew Hyacinth necklace for this outfit. I just recently posted a tutorial for making your own version. Check it out, if you're interested: http://isandwasblog.blogspot.com/2012/09/diy-nautical-rope-necklace.html

    Congratulations on the new job, Sharon! How exciting!

    Is + Was
    isandwasblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so excited for you!Really awesome outfit!
    The necklace is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger