11/1/12

5 Things I Learned From Meditating

I wrote the following article for Elizabeth Street yesterday. My office is closed until Monday, so I've been working from home. The kids are also home from school all week. BUT The NYC Marathon is on! I think the marathon will have special meaning this year. A way for everyone to come together during this challenging time.


Meditating Moms: 5 Things I Learned from Meditating 
Finding peace during challenging times 

Halloween celebrates change. For one day, a drastic transformation is possible and everyone is encouraged to reinvent themselves into something fantastic or mystical or frightening. I look forward to it each year.

But today, as many people try to rebuild their life after Hurricane Sandy, they are forced to deal with changes they never planned on. Whether it's the loss of a house, business, or loved one, finding ways to deal with change and difficult times is on everyone's minds.

Recently Goop came out with an issue that discusses change. Their suggestion? Meditation. Last week, before I knew the effect Hurricane Sandy was going to have on my area, I gave it a try. I signed up for a morning mediation class at The Three Jewels through Course Horse.

My experience was incredible and couldn't have been more timely!

Click here to read the 5 things I learned from my first meditation class.

FYI-I don't have a quota for page views at Elizabeth Street. I just believe in the site and love sending it traffic :)

8 comments:

  1. Love this. I already do yoga, but I'd like to work on being more mindful. Going to look up meditation classes in DC now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mediating or meditating? Check your title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds amazing! Makes me want to meditate right now! (I guess I could be I like the idea of a class to learn first) Great write up, thanks for sharing! I'm loving you in your new job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you do this without getting the giggles?? Everytime I do yogo or something like that I have to think about something sad or I get that weird smile and start laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed this article, and remembered you put a link up for a website that does meditation, but I can't find it now. (The link at Elizabeth Street seems to be broken). I'd love it if you could post the link again! Thanks for your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would agree that meditation is best in treating stress, I don't rely on medicines, I treat stress naturally using natural methods. Most of the time, I only need to rest and also with meditation and Reiki Classes in Chennai

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger