12/3/12

Urban Camping Checklist

To my kids, nothing is better than when we book a hotel with an indoor swimming pool in the middle of winter. All we have to do is drive to New Jersey or Westchester and BAM! We're on vacation in a totally new environment. We've done it a few times in the past with so much success.

The next time I'm tempted buying tickets to see Disneyland or Africa or even Matilda, I have to remind myself that this is all my kids want to do: swim, sleep in a new bed, and eat junk food. Someday I know I'll forget and plan a so-called dream vacation, only to be annoyed as they whine constantly. These lines are too long! It's too hot! I want a stupid toy from the lobby! It's really so simple to make them happy: hotel, indoor pool, and french fries. Actually, if I'm honest, that's pretty much happiness for me, too.
Owen taking every precaution not to ruin his good hair day. 
Oscar enjoying the unlimited free sour apples on the pool deck. Score. He ate two. Owen ate three.  
Guilty pleasure: Hot Tub Time Machine. Tell me I'm not the only one. 
He opens his eyes this wide underwater. After a few minutes they were completely bloodshot. I felt awful that I forgot his goggles. 
The hotel we were staying at also included an intense hiking trail next to a freeway no less. Hooray for nature. Pictures after the jump.


Wouldn't you like to know.
 They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot.
My kids would rather die than look at the camera for me. 
City girl hiking shoes. 

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures! I spent my weekend in London and we were lucky to find a room in a usually very expensive hotel for a few pounds only - even though London had lovely weather, we took our time to make use of the spa and indoor pool. So good. I can absolutely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true!! Now that I think about it, the last time I took my kids to Disney they had more fun in the hotel pool than we did at the park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute-looks like a great little break.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your post is full of life and joy!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mark and I are Hot Tub Time Machine addicts! Every time it is better than the last! I think he may find a copy under the tree!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is true. A day or two away from home swimming and exploring really is the perfect break for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll never forget when I was a kid my parents had our hardwood floors re-stained and we had to stay overnight at the Holiday Inn next to the mall because of the fumes. We swam all evening and then again the next day and it was one of the most exciting weekends of my young life. Sometimes we forget that happiness can be so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you in Princeton, NJ? We love doing hotels for vacations...I also enjoy if a spa happens to be attached. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. is that the renaissance westchester? I've shot a few weddings there - I recognize that ramp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic. Love your blog-linked to it from Cup of Jo. What kind of camera do you use to take your beautiful pictures? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely lovely children. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hot tub time machine! you are NOT the only one! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just had a flashback to that swimming-without-goggles feeling from childhood. It's not such a bad thing - a sign of a day well-spent in my memory anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really awesome, love this idea. I will have to remember this when my little Tater Tot gets older!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger