1/15/13

Kids Choices in Clothing

One of my first memories is from pre-kindergarden. I remember looking down at my jean skirt and thinking to myself: I look so awesome today! I love everything about my outfit! And then my eyes lowered to my shoes. Well, except for my shoes. I was wearing an old pair of tennis shoes that I thought looked too babyish for my four-year-old self. I never said anything to my mom until ten years later. When I finally did, she laughed and said, "Oh my gosh! I would have bought you new shoes if I knew you hated them so much!"

My next fashion memory is when I was a little older and I was walking around my elementary school with layered slouch socks. I thought it was such an awesome concept. I planned on doing it for the rest of my life because I couldn't think of a better way to wear socks. That was it for me.

It's interesting to watch my kids slowly start to be aware of fashion and trends at their school. Oscar found his piece right before Christmas. A few kids in his class have animal hats and he wanted to be just like them. I showed him these awesome and refined animal hats from RH Baby&Child, but he didn't want any part of it. His hat needed eyes, a nose, ears, and mittens, so I bought this giraffe hat right before Christmas. It's by far his favorite gift from Santa. He couldn't wait for the holiday break to be over so he could show his classmates the hat. I don't think they cared in the slightest, but I could tell it meant so much to Oscar. A few days later, we were all going around and saying our New Years Resolutions. Oscar said he wanted everyone in the world to own an animal hat. I completely get it. For him, he can't think of a better way to stay warm this winter. This hat is it for him.

12 comments:

  1. SO cute! Seriously, such a great story. Brought me back to my favorite outfits as a kid (dragon sweatshirt, and later on, a floral skirt & top combo that I thought was the absolute pinnacle of cool), and then to my years pegging my jeans and tucking them into my layered slouchy socks... Even for the little ones it is so important! Glad he's found his thing, and the joy he's experiencing now is truly contagious, even to those of us who don't know him personally. On a side note, can I have one of those restoration hardware hats for myself?

    www.nomadicd.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the BEST story. And not only is his hat keeping him warm - but he feels GREAT in it, so of course he'd want everyone to feel the way his hat does :)
    I remember the first time I really, reeeaally noticed my outfit. And I was horrified. I was 11 and a boy in my class had just asked me out (well, his friends asked for him), and I remember looking down at my clothes and feeling like such. a. dork. Red knitted jumper with a bouquet on the front, and legging with elastics under the heals... cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. as a new mom, i loved reading this. i cant wait to see what tickles my guy's fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a denim skirt/jump suit in kindergarten that holds the same place in my memory as your jean skirt and Oscar's hat.

    If only all of my clothes made me feel the way that jumper did!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't forget the pink and purple pants!! hahaaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget to add that they were polyester and that you had to wear them EVERY day to preschool:)You've come a looong way, baby:)Hahahaha:)
      ~C

      Delete
    2. hahahah it's so sad i forgot to include these pants. i wish mom never got rid of them! they are legendary!!!

      Delete
  6. My favorite outfits included hot pink stir-ups and a matching sweatshirt with ballet flats...diva from day one.

    I love that giraffe hat!

    xx
    Amanda
    http://denimanddaydreams.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kids fashion selection is a good job for moms and dads

    Fashion Prices

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger