3/19/13

Cupcake Decorating for Easter AKA I'm back and ready to celebrate the only way I know how (with frosting).

she's decorating a cupcake that just fell on the floor. 
My sister taught me the art of cupcake decorating last week. She took me to the store, told me everything I needed to buy and the next day gave me an amazing two hour lesson. I can't tell you how excited I am to be the owner of enough cake supplies to open a bakery. All my dreams of creating an Amy Steven's cake are finally going to come true. I say if you're even the slightest bit curious about decorating cupcakes, buy this cake decorating set, white frosting, white cake mix, and go at it. You'll figure it out with trial and error. As I watched my kids, I realized your can't mess this up. When all the cupcakes are put on the plate, it comes together nicely in a messy way.

But first: My sister taught me the secret to turning regular grocery store frosting into decorating frosting. All you need to do dump all the icing into a mixing bowl and slowly stir in powdered sugar until it stiffens up slightly by forming peeks. About a 2/3 cup per a regular 16-ounce container of frosting.

We spent a lot of time touring the city last week, but this domestic activity was one of my favorites.

i swear i bathe my kids. 
Owen modeling perfect technique.
always always poke your finger in the cupcake to test for freshness. 
More posts about my love for cake: Ella's three layer birthday cake, Rob's ombre cake fail, a Christmas cupcake fail, and a Mardi Gras cupcake fail.

more pictures of the final results after the jump . . .



above is my favorite. my very artistic little niece made it.  :)
can you tell which ones my sister made? 
abstract or minimalist? 
i promise this isn't the same picture cropped three ways. 

10 comments:

  1. What a good trick with the powdered sugar! I'll definitely have to try that. Your cupcakes are darling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love these! What great Easter treats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tips! Decorating seems so intimidating, but you're right, you can't go wrong! I love what you guys created! I'm going to get one of those kits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. almost too pretty to eat! almost.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since all my kids 'eat' is the frosting, this will be the perfect way for them to earn their keep around here! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute photos!
    The cupcakes look delicious!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww they look so sweet! decorating is so fun, almost as fun as the eating part. but man, buttercream frosting is so easy to make, so as long as you have that mixer out, might as well go for the real thing-- softened butter, vanilla, pinch of salt, powdered sugar and a splash of milk or cream as needed--- mix until fluffy, adding more powdered sugar as needed-- bam, done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. But which ones did you decorate? Also, thanks for making me hungry for a cupcake before lunch. :|

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how almost all of your cake posts have the word "fail" in them. hah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I simply found your blog in addition to wanted to declare i always include actually relished examining your blog posts. However I'll be opt-in to your feed in addition to Lets hope an individual write-up yet again before long. An excellent demonstration. Quite start in addition to useful. You've got magnificently offered ones considered on this post.Decoration

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger