4/2/13

Get out of NYC: Easter Weekend 2013


Presenting the only picture I took on Easter Sunday. Yesterday's family picture was actually taken on Saturday in Philadelphia. This is a picture I took to remember our locker number from Six Flags Adventure Park. Minutes later, I threw my bulky camera inside locker #3722 and forgot to take pictures with my iPhone for the rest of the day. I'm regretting that now after seeing all the Easter recaps. Six flags isn't exactly picturesque, but at least it's a break from suspenders (guilty) and bow ties (guilty). Instead of buying new dress clothes for my family, we blew our budget on roller coasters and milk shakes and ponchos. We have enough clothes anyway. My kids can squeeze into their Christmas clothes for a few more months.

Six Flags was basically empty beside us, a few Jewish families, and some teenagers cashing in their season passes from the great E.B. By the time the rain set in at 4pm, just about everyone left. We stayed. Sometimes we went on roller coasters twice in a row to experience the ride from both the front and the back. I was shocked at the legit rides my kids were tall enough to enter. As long as we rode with them, they could go on the super tall swings and substantial roller coasters. On some, I screamed the whole time and held onto their tiny hands for dear life. We went on the Skyway Cable Cars across the park three times yelling things like, "Stay Sweet! What's up dude? Party Rockin' in the house tonight." Because no one was there, within a few hours we experienced most of the park. Drenched.

While Sunday wasn't spent being all warm and fuzzy, it was spent together as a family. And besides that one tantrum from Owen ("I will not share my MILKSHAKE WITH ANYONE!"), the freezing rain, and the tacky theme park aesthetic, it was a good time with my favorite people. I guess that's what the day is all about. Well, sort of. I'm rounding up here.

14 comments:

  1. I like your blog way better now that your voice is back! It's so much fun to read. You have a great sense of humor and give me ideas about how to be a relaxed parent sometime in the future (I'm 22). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure this is going to be a wonderful memory from your kids and so much better then a fancy outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea, and yes, I'm back to checking your blog daily. You're a great writer and I love how you're honest (and brave).
    Good job.
    -Kris

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like the Easter I always wished I had! Definitely beats fancy clothes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. your kids are so lucky to have you! it sounds like a dream easter sunday to me:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing. My wife would never agree to a theme park trip on Easter Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun trip! I didn't know that theme parks were open now, great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL re: milkshake sharing....i feel like yelling that a lot, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How Refreshing!
    Also, I think as a parent, you have to skip out on some Things, in order to find the unstructured or off-the-grid or under-the-radar family time.
    I love skipping things (aka flaking) and then doing awesome stuff that may not have otherwise made The Calendar.

    side note: How did you have the courage to let your babies onto a grown up roller coaster? Did you just know the time was right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon - You are the bomb!!! You give me courage to break out of the obligations and enjoy my family of three!!! I am definitely going to keep this one in mind for the next holiday! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it—the pictures of suspenders, bow ties and all. Especially the milkshake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We once went to Coney Island on Easter. It was fanstastic! The only other people who were there were Hasidic Jews, which was super cool. BTW, I too will not SHARE MY MILKSHAKE WITH ANYONE! And I'm 43, and have 3 children.

    ReplyDelete
  13. so sweet. I love your writing so much....and your kids. That Owen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post - no pictures and all! What a great family holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger