4/3/13

This Week's Mom Uniform

Now that I'm not going into an office everyday, I plan on wearing the same thing over and over and over. It's going to be awesome. As long as I don't see the same people twice, I'm good. And even if I do, who cares. This is my mom uniform I've been wearing all week. On Monday, I wore it while I rowed a boat in Central Park. On Tuesday, I picked my kids up from school in it. I'll be wearing it to a Ron Sexsmith concert tonight, a book launch tomorrow, and articles club with girlfriends later this week. While the pieces aren't totally cheap, I always get my money's worth. I'll wear everything until they disintegrate into a fine white dust. 
Denim Shirt: After trying on a zillion denim shirts, I finally found the one at Banana Republic. I snatched it up quickly while BR was having a 40% of one full-priced item sale. It's still going on. Type in BRTAKE40 at checkout. 
Mom Jeans: I wore these all winter and will continue to wear them until they get holes in the knees and crotch. 
Headband: I cut my own bangs after I watched a youtube instructional video. Now I have to wear a headband to keep everything in place or my cowlick takes over. I haven't actually bought a headband yet, but I plan on getting one just like this. 
Leather Bag: American Apparel sent me a generous gift card before Christmas (and matching red sweatshirts for the entire family haha), so I bought this bag. At first I was disappointed because it looked so flimsy and ordinary, but months later I have fallen in love with it. Leather ages so nicely and I love stuffing everything into it without bothering with a zipper.
Gold Oxfords: I was going to get brown, but the salesgirl had gold. How could I even consider brown after knowing gold was an option? 

16 comments:

  1. I love, love this outfit. it's simple. but stylish. especially with the pop of metallic. I am a firm believer in recycling a good outfit, over & over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your uniform! Great choices and couldn't agree more on the shoes, when gold is an option no other color can compare! I think all the other non-gold shoes must feel shameful that they aren't gold too. Ha!

    I know it's been said, but I'll say it again, I'm so glad you're back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a mom but I want to wear this uniform. Those shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this uniform! feeling pretty good about you wearing it over & over again. i don't know what i did with my life before chambray. work it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those shoes are everything!! I'm imagining me in my pj's baking or feeding my baby whilst rocking those Oxfords!! Super cute momiform!!

    meg-made

    ReplyDelete
  6. love mom uniform ideas--especially when they are so cute! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gold oxfords complete the outfit perfectly:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a mom AND must report for duty everyday and still end up repeating things in a week. And wearing jeans until they get a hole in the crotch. Kinda glad I'm not alone there. Thanks for the link to the BR denim shirt. That's a good'un!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just saw the new blog header. Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great uniform! I'm off to get that shirt right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great outfit, and all the pieces are flexible enough that you could mix and match a lot of versions. I just bought my first pair of skinny black jeans, and they were a seriously great purchase.

    Also, Sharon, I wanted to commend your decision to leave your job. I"m sure it wasn't an easy decision, but you sometimes just have to trust your gut on this stuff. I quit a teaching position (high school math, covering a maternity leave) after just three weeks, and I felt like such a lame quitter about it. But the support I got from friends, family, and coworkers was amazing. It helped me believe that I'd made the right decision, and now I'm in such a better place. It's just been a few years, but I've managed to carve out a real career for myself since walking away from that teaching job. Your kids are young, and maybe you need a more low-key job that is closer to home. Or maybe it's just a different kind of career that you're looking for. Whatever it may be, I hope you find peace in your decision, and that big things are right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a mom but I love that outfit. We need to see pics of you wearing it! pretty please :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So nice to have the old witty Sharon back! Yeah! I must confess I'm glad you went back to your blog, I really only read yours and Cup of Jo everyday anymore. This is an awesome outfit, been considering a pair of Madewell jeans, but wasn't sure if they were flattering for the curvy postpartum body.. Also, bought a chambray shirt from J.Crew outlet over the weekend and have been wearing it everyday with black leggings, so I can relate to the mom uniform. ;)

    Nice blog header, you finally nailed it, I like this one the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this! need to get my spring uniform down after a long winter of sweatpants and uggs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i wear a very similar outfit most days i'm home with atticus too. i've had to mix in a maxi dress, mocassins and denim jacket lately because we're taking swim class and getting in and out of skinny jeans with a running toddler is a bit challenging:0

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love this outfit! As a teacher, I can wear jeans at work and I do it believe me! Love that leather bag, seems perfect for moms!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger