4/22/13

My Lunch Date

It’s Rob. I’ll be here for a few days while Sharon's off on a cruise. The pressure of not working all day while the kids are in school full-time was getting to her so she deserved a break. In the meantime, I’ll be recording a few of my observations about our family in her absence.
November 14th, 2009
A few weeks ago Sharon sent me this text: Some of the parents are showing up at school today to have lunch with their kids. I was about to write back have fun!! when I received another text that said: I can’t make it but Ella really wants you to come. I had a pretty light morning so I said I could go. . .


When I got to the school I was the only parent there but Ella seemed excited to see me.  She asked me to come sit with her friends and told me to try and say something funny. The kids were a great audience and I was having an awesome time. When it was over, I realized I had been talking so much I hadn’t even had a chance to eat.

As I was heading back towards the subway station I saw a 7-11 and decided to grab a Slurpee and some nachos. I piled everything on the nachos, including chili sauce, that cheese stuff and a few jalapenos. I was walking out of the store when I suddenly became embarrassed and ashamed of my lunch. I didn’t want anyone I knew from the neighborhood to see me eating all this crap, so I went and hid out in the courtyard of a nearby housing project. I was totally happy as I ate my nachos and Slurpee until I noticed 3 big ass guys approaching me. Maybe they didn’t want me hanging out in their courtyard?

I was pretty nervous as they got closer to me and the guy in the middle (let's call him Brian) said, “What the F$#% are you doing here?” By this time the other guys had completely surrounded me. I said, “I’m just drinking this Slurpee”. Then Frank (not his actual name) said, “Cool man I love Slurpees”. We started talking about different Slurpee flavors and I asked them if they wanted to go back to 7-11 with me and get their own Slurpees. My treat.

They were all down for the trip so we went to the store together. I got another one because I didn’t want to seem anti-social. We were getting along great and they invited me back to the courtyard. We all hung out on the steps of their housing development drinking our Slurpees and talking about basketball.

My job requires me to go to lunch meetings about 3 times a week but I can honestly say it was the best lunch meeting I’ve had in months. Blogger Challenge: Go lunch with someone new this week!

41 comments:

  1. I literally laughed out loud. This is such a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a riot, that story made me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, you are the best. I miss Sharon but stay a bit longer please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think every stay at home mom blogger ( raising my hand) should A. Take a cruise and B. have their husbands fill in..hilarious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this post! I just read this whole post to my fiancé and he loved it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're my new favorite....man blogger??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um, I visit to read Sharon not you. Get off her blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough. Sharon gets back tonight so check back tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Um, wow.
      If you didn't get what you came to see then just simply move on. Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut than to voice every opinion and thoughts.

      Delete
  8. Oh my word, I LOVED this. First I was nervous while reading, expecting something to go wrong at the school, something embarrassing with the other parents etc, then I got worried someone might catch you out with the unhealthy lunch, but then that was ok, too. and then with the three big guys... I was literally biting my nails! hahaa - how fun. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone, it was fun to wake up and see all of your nice comments. Glad the story made you laugh and I apologize for all the typos. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was hilarious. Please start your own blog, Rob. I'll read it daily while sipping a slurpee. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha, this made me laugh so much! Great Story!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what? this was so wonderfully and weirdly funny rob! what a great lunch, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this blog and I've been loving your cute stories while Sharon is away. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha hilarious, random story. I've never had a slurpee, but really want one now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. um, this is by far one of the greatest stories I've ever read on a blog. Made comment. =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember Sharon talking about one birthday where she got you like, junk food from the 7-11 because it's your favorite. Love hearing it first hand :) You are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha rob don't listen to the haters you were awesome! I could see why Sharon married ya, you're both hysterical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You really need to become a regular on this blog. I love your wife, but you are equally as awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Laughing out loud. This is great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is one of those 'only in NYC' stories that NEVER happen! Lucky you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing!! I agree you need a weekly spot on here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This may be the only story to have a slurpee as a uniting force. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Best. guest blogger. EVER.

    Please stop in anytime! Also, the steak and cheese taquito at 7-11 makes my heart flutter - so good.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hahah this is brilliant! Seriously a brilliant lunch date. Glad it all worked out ok! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. absolutely hilarious! you're a charming writer, mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE this,Rob:) This story reminds me of something you would see in M. commercial:)
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  27. You should try the bean and cheese burritos at 7-11! They are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm loving these guest posts! Your entries have been a refreshing change & I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more of them in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! :) i'll tell him.

      i can't but wonder if rob wrote that anon comment about himself :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger