4/19/13

Flashback Thursday: Skits

It’s Rob. I’ll be here for a few days while Sharon's off on a cruise. The pressure of not working all day while the kids are in school full-time was getting to her so she deserved a break. In the meantime, I’ll be recording a few of my observations about our family in her absence. 
cheers to the ice cream man. February 22, 2010
Last Sunday morning the kids decided to put on a circus show for Sharon and me. There are tons of things I can’t stand about being a parent, but among the worst is . . .



Watching my kids perform skits they come up with themselves is awful. But I can't say no to their pleas  knowing I put my parents through the same torture.

As Sharon and I entered the kids room, we saw Owen and Ella had transformed themselves into clowns with the help of Sharon's make-up. Off to a surprising start, I thought. While it had the potential to be entertaining, what I was watching wasn’t stage ready. Their act involved a lot of fake fighting, which is our kids favorite default in skits to be funny. It never is, although you would never know it by the look on Sharon's smiling face and her head nodding in approval. The finale involved catching each other in butterfly nets while yelling, "Stop it you idiot!". They eventually took their bows and Ella introduced Oscar's act, "And it's time for Mr. Smarty Pants! The smartest magician ever!"

Mr. Smarty Pant's only trick consisted of 3 bowls and a Lego. He put a Lego under one of the bowls, and asked us to shut our eyes. He would then move the bowls around and say, "Open your eyes. Which bowl has the Lego under it?" Every time by dumb luck we picked the one with the Lego. After about 10 attempts to trick us, Mr. Smarty Pants got more and more upset. We tried desperately to pick the wrong bowl, but kept answering correctly. We could tell he was about to cry, so Sharon cheated and peeked so she could pick the bowl that did not have the Lego underneath it.

He was thrilled! He jumped right up put his finger in Sharon’s face and said, “See I told you I was MR. SMARTY-PANTS”.

And with that ending and his comedic timing, I might have to reconsider. Maybe these skits aren't half bad after all. I'll give them another chance.
February 4th, 2010. 

33 comments:

  1. really funny! I hate those unprepared skits myself. I've worked hard with my kids, making them understand that they have to write a story first! And rehearse! my daughter performs ballet stuff for use, which she learned in her classes so it's not too bad! My son now makes short animated videos with his heroes Factory toys, and they're fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is so cool your son makes short animated videos. If any of them are on YouTube send me the link.

      Delete
  2. Honestly,in my claw I find it hard to be amused all the time..kills me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Class. Blame the predictive text.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do blame predictive text...every time my name comes up as Ron.

      Delete
  4. I had my 3rd child when my then youngest was 10...imagine having to watch skits AGAIN! Awful...but I really wouldn't trade it for the world! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! I love how honest you are. I hope Sharon has a relaxing time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and Sharon is having a blast.

      Delete
  6. We made our parents pay for tickets to watch us! I have a heap of bad karma coming my way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genius... but I do see a lot of Tyler Perry movies in your future.

      Delete
  7. You're hilarious. I love Mr. Smarty Pants!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! This is an awesome story. I find it so amusing that you correctly selected the bowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Smarty Pants made both Sharon and I pick every time, plus we had to chose different bowls so there was a 66% chance of finding the Lego.

      Delete
  9. Alright, feel free to jump all over me for saying this, but I can't help myself... "the PRESSURE of not working all day while the kids are in school full-time"?? Jesus Christ, give me a break! I get that she may be feeling guilty, but it must be a pretty damn charmed life to feel so much "pressure" about NOT working while your kids are in school. So much pressure that she just needs to take a cruise? No sympathy over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the confusion, the line you’re referencing was intended to be sarcastic! See if you can pick up on the sarcasm in this sentence… Thank you so much for your comment; like most brave people you have chosen to leave your judgmental opinions anonymously.

      Delete
    2. Anon, that was clearly a joke! You need a better sense of humor.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Megan... clearly I could never be a blogger. I am way too defensive!

      Delete
    4. Ha! But what you said originally was just plain funny. At least it reminded me of my family... : )

      Delete
  10. When my kids put on an impromptu performance I insist that I have a part because I like to steal the show.

    P.S. I follow you on Pinterest. My latest favorite: "Where is Freddie Prince Jr. these days?"



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like Wild Nails and seriously... Where is FPJ?

      Delete
  11. Not only could you be a blogger, Rob, but I'd beg you to be my mentor. Well done, clearly. WELL DONE!

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  12. best blogger ever. tell sharon to stay in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rob needs his own blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read this to my husband and he and I had a good giggle on a Sunday morning. I love HONEST stories about being a parent.
    That being said, while reading this, my daughter put a kleenex box on her head and said, "Look mommy!" and I still laughed and pretended it was funny. You just do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hilarious! love this post. i was waiting for it to get apologetic, so glad it did not. sometimes parents just need a little inspiration and encouragement to keep going, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahahaha! I too can't stand having to watch my kids do their skits. There is nothing worse when they start arguing half way through and insist on starting over. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember we insisted that our mom watch us do handstands in the pool, with probably only our little feet sticking out, and thinking how impressive it was. Our mom, bless her heart, would have that same excitement you said Sharon had. (Great post by the way, you should make a cameo more often!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for all the nice comments! And don't worry, Sharon gets back tomorrow (in about 26 hours not that I am counting)so she'll be taking back the reins soon... stay tuned

    ReplyDelete
  19. When our first child was born we tried every diaper at the store. We couldn't get a diaper to last him through the night without leaking. Only a few expensive diapers would not leak through night. But some would leave some gel looking residue on the baby's skin. We are now onto our second child and he just turned two. We still swear by Honest diapers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger