4/16/13

Things I Adore: Louise Plummer

Ever since my mother died when I was 18 years old, I find myself clinging to women that give me the same sense of hope, joy, and humor she had for life. I can spot them out in a crowd with their wide smiles and loud laughs. I knew the first day I walked into class, Professor Louise Plummer would be the one of these women in my life . . .


She asked the class, "What is your eternal age? The age you feel like you'll be forever?" I rolled my eyes at the 18 year old who chose 35. Boooring. I chose 14 years old. While we live clear across the country from each other now, I still keep updated through her blog The Chattering Crow. It's one of my favorites. Yesterday she wrote her thoughts about the tragic events of the Boston Marathon (here). Like most things she writes, I thought it was perfect. I'm glad to have people like her around to inspire me and keep my sense of hope alive even during the grossest times. I hope to grow up to be just like her.
(pictures from our trip to Boston years ago. I was so sad when I heard the news.)
More of my favorite posts from Louise. I adore her writing style and try my best to copy it.
My mom read my diary.
Foods My Mother Fed Me
Thoughts on Frank Lloyd Wright

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE her books. And her husband's. They make me smile. I knew her son Sam in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Louise was one of my favorite professors! I'm so glad to know about her blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha how can you pick an eternal age if you have not even been it yet! I think mine is 23 it was in that perfect stage of being an adult but not realizing to much what that means!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wet kisses to you, Sharon. I think BYU Hawaii still hates us for the SQUARE literary magazine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I literally just spent several hours reading Louise's blog. I kept giggling at her snarky humor and had a hard time tearing myself away to make dinner. Thank you so much for sharing. What a great lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Read all her books as a youth (selected by my mother, I'm sure, who was always up on the latest YA library lists). And JUST, I mean, like last month, discovered her blog via another very smarty pants literary type friend of mine (are you a smarty pants literary type?). Very weird coincidence. I LOVE her posts about old photos. Awesome and much more interesting way to write your own history, right? I'm going to try to get my husband to do it b/c my MIL entrusted me with his family's photos and no one in their family has ever written a letter or recorded a dang thing about their lives. Not LDS, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I like your new logo or whatever it's called. It's been a while since I've been here, hasn't it? Hope you are enjoying your cruise. Fun to read Rob's posts. Miss you guys and your kids.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger