5/14/13

Mother's Day Recap 2013

nov. 18, 2007. in one of the first anthropologie items i ever bought. you can't see it in this picture, but there were tulips growing on my boobs! ha i loved that cardigan. 

The day before Mother's Day, Rob and I went on a date. We decided to go to Chelsea Market for dinner, but first I wanted to stop by Anthropologie. Just to peek in for a minute to get a new dress for Mother's Day. He found a giant flowery couch to sit on while I shopped. I didn't find anything on the first floor, so I walked down stairs to their basement level.

I took my time looking through the racks of clothes. I asked the salesgirl when they closed. I had an hour. I tried on a few dresses, looked through a few books, and checked to see if they had my size in sweaters I really didn't like. Nothing stood out to me in the entire store besides the blue dress I was holding. Everything else looked gaudy. The overly embellished sweaters. The patchwork chairs. The over sized necklaces. Ruffles in odd places. The kind of wallpaper I loved and bought 3 years ago

Then a I started listening to a song they had playing in the background. The chorus had something about moms. Mine died in 2000 when I was 18 years old (i try not to bring this up in every single conversation ha). The singer sounded like Jack Johnson, so mellow and sad. I looked around the store and remembered that when I was 18 years old, these were exactly the clothes I thought were so fabulously feminine and so me. I still remember the day my dad tossed an Anthropologie catalog at me and said, "Here, this looks like you." To my teenage self, I took it as a massive compliment. I was yearning to have the same style as women in the catalog and I was thrilled that someone noticed. I had yet to purchase anything from the store, but I held onto the catalogs for inspiration. This went on even into my 20's when I could finally afford to splurge on a few things.

But now as I was standing next to a belted zebra print dress and that same damn guy was singing about his mom, I started to cry. I realized there's almost nothing the same about me when my mother was alive. I've somewhat abandoned or outgrown that person. While there's still parts about me that are the same--my love for writing, my appetite for food, my messy bedroom, there's something sad knowing she never got to see me evolve. Not just in my ridiculous fashion choices, but in becoming an adult. I'm sure she would have been different over these last 13 years, too. I would have loved to see her retire, become a social media guru, and turn into a grandma. It always comes down to that for me. She never missed out on anything. She was always present. It's so annoying she didn't get to live a few more decades.  

Finally the song ended before anyone noticed me crying. I checked my phone to see what time it was, which led to me checking my Instagram. And with tears in my still in eyes, the first picture to show up was  Rob with this caption: Been sitting on this couch for the last hour. Sharon said she was going to try something on and never came back. If you see my wife please tell her I am still waiting for her on that couch in Anthropologie.

And completely by accident, he got me out of my funk. I walked back upstairs, bought the blue dress, and we went out for dinner. I didn't mention my meltdown immediately, but I did put in a request for more self portraits from him in the future. There's nothing like an awful selfie to make it all better. 

36 comments:

  1. You gave me goosebumps reading this, my own mother is still alive but for the last two years I have been thousands of miles away from her and I often feel the same that she is not seeing me grow into adulthood and marriage. When I do get to see her we have such and adjustment period for her to realize who I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your post... the same happens to me sometimes, just a random thought or someone passing by and I remember my grandma... I miss her so much, and I´m so sorry she didn´t get to meet my son.

    xoxo Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post was amazing - very profound about how we evolve and how the people we once knew that aren't around anymore will never get to see how we change and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Rob are cutest couple ever! Happy Mother's Day to you Sharon! Your mother must be so proud of you and the person you have become!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the best post that I have ever read on your blog. It's short and easy to read, but it had me tearing up at one point then laughing out loud a second later!! Happy belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet, I love it! Thanks for sharing your story- I can't imagine what I would have done if I lost my mom when I was 18. Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I'm such a fan of yours and I think, dare I say, a lurker! Ah, the worst! But I just love this and had to come out of the woodwork. You are a wonderful writer. Your mom would be SO proud. She would, she just would! Plus, on top of it all you & Rob are the cutest. Thanks for always sharing. And for breaking down in Anthro, so that I know when I do it, I'm not alone. xx Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha thanks. your blog cracks me up. i would love to meet you to see if your as goofy as you appear to be. oh and it's official: i'll be using the word shitstorm in my next post thanks to this post

      Delete
    2. Oh my gosh, thanks so much! You always crack me up so it is truly a compliment to hear that from you! Sometimes shitstorm is really the only word for the situation. And I too am in NYC so maybe someday we will meet and be goofy! Hope your day is the opposite of a shitstorm :).

      Delete
  8. My mom passed away when I was 24, I now have an almost 4 year old. I feel the same as you...most days, I am so happy, and even happy with thoughts of my mom and what she would think of this or that..but when it hits..its just really sad. Why isnt she here to see me be a great mom BECAUSE of the mom she was :( A beautiful Post Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing.

    (Longtime reader, first time commenting)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not one to comment on the blogs I read [although i don't know why...I squeal with little girl delight when I receive comments on mine: byelyse.wordpress.com] but this post was beautiful. Beautifully written and a touching note to your mother's memory. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post because it hits so close to home. I lost my mom 17 years ago next Friday. I now have a 10 month old daughter and the loss seems so new now, especially on Mother's Day. All the things that I wish I could ask her, tell her, thank her for. But I know (hope) she is looking down on us and is proud of the woman and mom I have become.
    Is it wrong that I want to hug your husband, though, for that perfectly timed picture? :) Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rob, thanks for just being you (Wild Nails and all)...& making Sharon laugh:) You are the best!
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful and hilarious! You and your husband (respectively) and the post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love love this. I try not to bring it up in every conversation too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post really hit home for me too. My dad died when I was in high school, so (unfortunately) I can relate. Those moments, like the one you had in Anthro, always sneak up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aww, Sharon, that's a touching post. Your mom would be thrilled and SO proud of you and your kiddos--and probably even more happy that you found such a great partner in Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This made me tear up and then smile. I'm glad you shared the pic of Rob at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was so fortunate to receive this post from my own daughter who is living in New Orleans while I am just outside of NYC. Luckily, we're both still on this earth, but living so far apart is so painful, and I just wait for the day when hopefully she moves closer to home. I lost my own mother when I was 23, and my kid sister was just 13. Not a day goes by that I don't think of my mother and all we both lost. She never got to be a grandmother and I never got the opportunity to dump my kids at her house and go out for the evening, or hear her laugh and say "I waited for the day when you would have a daughter just as difficult as you!" I wish I had known her better, and that we had hugged more...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that my tears completely evaporated upon seeing Rob's selfie. That's a good one. You are a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is beautiful, made me teary! I don't believe in a lot of things but I believe that your Mom can see what you've grown into. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw, your post brought tears to my eyes - and it sounds like you have a pretty great guy there - even just being patient enough to sit for an hour and wait - never bother the funk dimishing selfie :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. sharon, i love your blog and LOVE this post. beautiful. i lost my mom when i was in my 30s, but i can still totally relate.

    letters2slinkie.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was great! And your hubby is solid gold.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a nice post. And your husband is hilarious and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I lost my dad & feel the same way and have had the same experience. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Was this recently published in Real Simple Magazine? Or somewhere else? I have been browsing blogs tonight and have enjoyed reading yours for the first time. However, when I cam across this post it seemed oddly familiar to me. Please confirm that it has been circulated elsewhere?!

    ReplyDelete
  28. One of my favorite Anthro memories is when I rung you up at the register at the store in Soho that I was working at :) It caught me off guard when I looked up and I felt like a bumbling idiot.."duh, i love your blog....stutter, blush, stutter..." I have since moved to Boston and continue working for Anthropologie (which I just realized we are the same age and that my fashion taste has also changed drastically after living in NYC for 2 years and now Boston for 1) But I continue to love reading your blog and your no-bullshit stories. You don't sugarcoat and you are human with all the feelings that most people seem ashamed to mention. Its really inspiring and I hope that I can run into you again someday! You have a cool, beautiful and REAL family that I can only aspire to have someday ;) xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger