3/3/14

Continuing Ed Writing Class


I signed up for a fiction writing class at NYU this semester. Last week our assignment was to write a 250 word character sketch of someone by using appearance, action, speech, and thought to show what the character is like. We had the choice of a nerd, priss, flirt, snob, or bully. Luckily I chose nerd because I got 90% of what I needed by observing Ella at the library. Without too much effort, I brought out her nerdy side.

Deb hunches over her spelling assignment at a table in the public library. Her shoulders are pressed into her ears, and she has a firm grasp of her pencil as she writes the words 3 times each. 
 “Look!” she tells her mom, “One of the words is ‘thousand!’ I love this word. Thousand.” Deb sighs and looks out the window. She thinks about making up a thousand jokes someday. Having a thousand friends. Getting a thousand words wrong on a spelling test. The thought forces her to bite her middle finger nail until it bleeds. The taste of blood jolts her attention back to her assignment. She finishes while she singing softly, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Stronger.” 
 Deb’s little brother brings over a stack of Roald Dahl books for her. She picks through them saying, “Already read it. Read it. Read. Read them all.” She pushes them back to him and looks around. “Where’s Mia Cooper?” she says, “I saw her earlier. Mia Cooooper!” 
Mia turns slowly a few tables in front of Deb. Deb blurts out, “Mia Cooper! Did you ride the subway here? I did. The B train. It was so crowded. I actually said 3 swear words out loud and no one heard me!” Mia looks down at the ground straight faced. Deb starts laughing hysterically until the chair she’s sitting in tips back completely. And on the way to the floor with her arms flailing, Deb shouts, “Fuuudge.”

Most of these events happened. I made up Ella's thoughts on the word thousand (she did say she loved that word), biting her nail until it started bleeding, and her friend not being nice. She's actually one of Ella's dear friends. I also made the part of Ella laughing hysterically. She told me she said bad words on the subway. She also fell off her chair but the two events were unrelated in real life.

I love being surrounded by people who give me so much material for class. This week we have to write character sketches about a domineering wife or a timid husband. Rob's turn to get turned into a character! It won't be easy to find his timid side, but I'm sure I'll find a way and love every minute of it.

17 comments:

  1. I love your "writing" posts.
    You've got a great voice.
    More, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this. "Fuuuuudge" was an amazing button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a talented writer. More! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. Please keep sharing these! I enjoy hearing about the writing assignments from NYU...and where you decide to go with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you're continuing your education and sharing it on your blog! I'm taking a course this semester too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your writing! Best descriptions. I hope you write a book someday. I'd read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done you!!It can't be easy with the kids!libe your blog x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved reading this! So realistic! I hope to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I took a similar class at the University of Washington. After the first year, they added a second year. It was the best thing I've ever done (almost.)

    Way to go and have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great character sketch!

    ReplyDelete

  12. My name is Christiana Paul am from united kingdom. I never believed in spell casting, I have
    been scammed by eight (8) different people. I lost my hope and i was almost false striated by
    them, My Husband left me with two lovely Kids. I was devastated, I lost my job, My best,friend saw
    my pains, Then she introduced me to this man spell caster called Prophet Ogbian I Was told his
    work never lies or fall, but all i have to do is to have faith in him, I never believed until I
    got in touch with him, He did a very mighty spell i have never seen, or even believe in my life'
    for me,it was just like a dream to me,i cant imaging is real, and My Husband came back to me after
    3days of casting the spell for me, I was recalled back at my working place,and even immediately
    get promoted,and am very happy and grateful to get my work and my family back in my life time
    again, and I couldn't believe there is a real true spell caster out there who does a true real
    spell works, I will always thank him for is kindness over me, He is a true hearted man,This is my
    first time of seeing a true spell caster,and i cant keep this alone to my self, but also help does
    who also need help to get what they want too, if you also find your self in a situation like this
    or bringing back ur ex`lover or weak erection,and even any thing you think
    about off,please communicate with him through his private email address:
    Prophetogbianspelltemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

  13. My name is Christiana Paul ericson am from united kingdom. I never believed in spell casting, I have
    been scammed by eight (8) different people. I lost my hope and i was almost false striated by
    them, My Husband left me with two lovely Kids. I was devastated, I lost my job, My best,friend saw
    my pains, Then she introduced me to this man spell caster called Prophet Ogbian I Was told his
    work never lies or fall, but all i have to do is to have faith in him, I never believed until I
    got in touch with him, He did a very mighty spell i have never seen, or even believe in my life'
    for me,it was just like a dream to me,i cant imaging is real, and My Husband came back to me after
    3days of casting the spell for me, I was recalled back at my working place,and even immediately
    get promoted,and am very happy and grateful to get my work and my family back in my life time
    again, and I couldn't believe there is a real true spell caster out there who does a true real
    spell works, I will always thank him for is kindness over me, He is a true hearted man,This is my
    first time of seeing a true spell caster,and i cant keep this alone to my self, but also help does
    who also need help to get what they want too, if you also find your self in a situation like this
    or bringing back ur ex`lover or weak erection,and even any thing you think
    about off,please communicate with him through his private email address:
    Prophetogbianspelltemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. los angeles lakers, http://www.lakersjerseys.us/
    green bay packers, http://www.greenbaypackersjersey.us/
    air jordan shoes, http://www.airjordan13s.com/
    louis vuitton outlet,louis vuitton outlet online,louis vuitton,louisvuitton.com,authentic louis vuitton,louis vuitton factory outlet,cheap louis vuitton
    chelsea jersey, http://www.chelseajerseystore.com/
    michael kors factory sale, http://www.discountuggboots.in.net/
    seattle seahawks, http://www.seattleseahawksjersey.us/
    tods outlet online, http://www.todsoutlet.us.com/
    barbour uk, http://www.canadagoosecanada.com/
    miami heat, http://www.miamiheatjerseys.net/
    nike huarache, http://www.nike-airhuarache.co.uk/
    coach outlet store, http://www.coachoutletstores.com.co/
    louis vuitton bags on sale, http://www.louisvuittonbag.us.com/
    adidas jeremy scott, http://www.adidaswings.net/
    nba jerseys wholesale, http://www.nbajerseys.us.com/
    prom dresses, http://www.cheap-weddingdresses.net/
    washington redskins, http://www.washingtonredskinsjersey.com/
    roshe run women, http://www.rosherunshoessale.com/
    qqq1015

    ReplyDelete
  15. My dear reader, you have to read this.
    Dr Saloba doesn’t ask for testimonies and he doesn’t charge. He is genuine and people get to meet him by luck. But right now am your luck if you could meet him. Every other testimonies you read here are scams...... Dr Saloba is a trusted and I happened to meet him by chance after a friend told me about him. I followed these internet testimonies and was hugely scammed to the extent that I wanted to kill myself. Dr Saloba turned my situation around by bringing back my ex boyfriend back to me and made me regain double of what I lost over to these scams. He made my ex boyfriend come crawling to have her back again. All I spent was $150 and at last gained back all my lost money and even double of it. His email address is : Salobaspiritualtemple@gmail.com OR call his cell phone number on +2349036493771 but please don’t make him know that I published him on net. He is just wonderful and I wish whoever that finds him good luck. Don’t forget his email address is Salobaspiritualtemple@gmail.com
    Yours truly
    Patrica Edmond

    HE FIX THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS TO ALL
    ACROSS THE GLOBE ON:
    1. Getting your lover or husband back
    2. Spiritual bulletproof
    3. Training
    4. Money spell
    5. Long life spell
    6. Prosperity spell
    7. Protection spell
    8. Get a job spell
    9. Becoming a manager spell
    10. Get a huge loan without paying any fee spell
    11. Getting your scam money back
    12. Child spell
    13. Pregnancy spell
    14. Freedom spell
    15. Love spell
    16, vanishing spell
    17. Invisible human spell
    18. Success or pass spell
    19. Marriage spell
    20. Avenging spell
    21. Popularity spell
    22. Killing spell
    23. Cancer spell
    24. Supernatural power spell
    25. Madness spell
    26. Free house loan spell
    27. Production spell of films and movie
    28. Hiv/aids spell
    29. Tuberculosis spell
    30. Loose weight and body spell

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger