8/29/11

Job Update: Your Suggestions


Thank you so much for the huge response over the weekend about my job hunt. I compiled all your suggestions into one post for easy reference.  Mostly for me, but hopefully it can help others as well.

Here are your most popular suggestions:


Good News: I've already set up a few interviews thanks to my wanted ad! I'll keep you posted.

Until then, I'm also researching the websites you suggested:
1. mediabistro.com (jobs/internships in Media)
2. ed2010.com (jobs/internships in Publishing and Creative Services)
3. nyfa.org (jobs/internships in the Arts)
4. NYC’s Young to Publishing Group (network)
5. 826nyc.org (writing volunteer opportunities)

I'm also in love with the idea of taking publishing classes. Here's the ones you suggested:
1. Publishing Certificate at NYU
2. Publishing Certificate at Columbia
*Am I missing any?

For even more options, here's the temp/recruiting agencies you suggested:
1. Career Blazers
2. Lynne Palmer
3. FSS
4. Office Team
5. The Bachrach Group
6. Soloman Page
7. Michael Page

I'll end with a list of encouraging/useful comments you wrote me. Thank you!!
*Look beyond traditional trade book publishing. Consider scientific and academic publishing too.
*It’s easiest to get around “non credit internships” at smaller places like literary agencies or websites.
*Be open to jobs that can lead into publishing. One reader suggested paralegal work.
*LINKED IN
*Stay Positive/Pray
*And, finally, my favorite surefire ways to break into the NYC Publishing Industry:



Haha thanks Kathryn! Your advice was one of my favorites. :)

Keep the suggestions coming!! I'll update this page as I get more info. In case you missed it, here's the first post in my Get Hired series. And a second one that you might hate me for.

Oh and the strollers! They are here and will be delivered this week!

9 comments:

  1. Just came across your blog from A CUP OF JO and I love it! I have lived here in NYC for 7 years and have had about every job imaginable. I am currently in finance (for last 2 years) and its been amazing..really worked my way up. I have found LINKED IN to be a HUGE resource for me. I get 1 or 2 emails from recriters every single day, although I am an Executive Assistant in Finance, so there are TONS of assistant jobs. Anyway, best of luck to you and can't wait to follow you more. My little blog is: iliketobuy.blogspot.com or follow me on Twitter at @emjonesnyc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on your way! I'm just so proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon! I discovered your blog this weekend and stayed up until 2 AM reading it all the way through from start to finish. Actually, it was finish to start since I began with your latest post and worked my way back. I couldn't stop clicking--you're like a chocolate cake that's been covered in tinfoil and put in the fridge in order to stop picking. no dice.

    Anyway, I'm a huge fan and think you rock (duh). I'm a preschool teacher and children's writer here in Manhattan: Ella, Oscar and Owen are adorable and the adventures you share make me laugh out loud. Thanks for being awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started reading your blog after Joanna/Cup of Jo mentioned you in her round-up last Friday, and I have to admit...I kind of devoured your blog this weekend. May or may not have read the whole thing. I'm in love with your writing!

    Good luck on the job search! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon,
    Love your story! Keep at it. You might want to join Twitter as it is a great place to meet new people & network.
    Best of luck!
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god look what you've done! You are the most brilliant, the cutest blogger ever. See look at all this info! You are helping others, and no doubt all of your hard work will pay off. Love that last one. Don't we all want to be freakishly brilliant? We are I think as long as we put our effort in and stretch ourselves out enough. You go girl!

    Courtney
    I Can Be Many Things

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sharon,

    I found your blog through Cup of Jo. I am also trying to break into the publishing industry. The key I've been told is to do some internships before you get a job. Experience is often valued over education. There is also the possibility of doing freelance proofreading - I have been doing that as well and it's been interesting. As for the NYU courses, I enjoyed the summer program so much that I am now enrolled in the Masters in Publishing program there. If you have any questions about the program, let me know :)

    Best of luck,
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my. Like Emily, I found you through Cup of Jo. And like Kayla, I read the whole freaking blog from end to beginning. I have a new blog to stalk! Congrats on the internship!
    Janice

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger