4/5/12

Photo Class Update

Assignment #3 Freeze Motion SOOC 
I have to confess. When I signed up for Lesley's  Intro to Photography Class, I didn't think I would learn much. I've been shooting tons over the past year. I somehow felt like I had a grasp of my camera and its abilities even though I was shooting in automatic mode!  Talk about being overly confident. Some of my photos are even enlarged poster size and framed in my house! Ha.

Before taking the class, I didn't even know the basic functions of my camera. Learning how to change the f/stop, shutter speeds, etc was the first homework assignment before we entered class. It immediately put me in my place. For example, the curved W/B button? I've never pressed it. That stands for White Balance. Completely changes everything. The Q inside a square? I never even noticed it! When pressed, it makes it so much easier and faster to change the settings. These two buttons are so important to me now.

My favorite thing I learned at class was about SOOC. It's a nerdy acronym photographers use that means "straight out of camera". No edits, no color enhancements, nothing. Just a beautiful image without the help from editing software. And here I thought I was just being lazy when I didn't edit! Turns out it's like some sort of badge of honor. So for this post, the images are SOOC and are labeled such. Nerd!

The biggest lesson for me was learning about proper exposure. I had no idea I've been over exposing just about every one of my images! Even in perfect lighting! Lesley helped us train our eyes to see the difference between over, under, and perfectly exposed images. I know it's going to take years before I really can tell the slight difference, but for now, I can already sense an awareness I never had before.

My third and final class is going to be a lighting demo outside. It's going to be awesome! But first I have to catch up on some late assignments first. I only did 9/13.

Check out all of my completed assignments after the jump. #10 was the hardest to accomplish. #11 is one of my favorites, despite Oscar's funky facial expression. Critiques welcome.

For my dad: Click the tiny "Read More" Button below. :)


UPDATE: A lot of people have been asking about taking one of Lesley's classes.  I'll keep you posted if she decides to do it again! I hope she does. It's great!

Assignment #1 Shallow Depth of Field SOOC
Assignment #2 Large Depth of Field SOOC
Assignment #4 Capture Motion SOOC
Assignment #6 and #7 Underexpose/Overexpose Images
*I was actually told that the left image is correctly exposed despite the blown out flowers and sky. Interesting! Good to know.
Assignment #8 Front Lighting SOOC
Assignment #9 Side Lighting SOOC
Assignment #10 Take photo with your favorite 90210 character. 
Assignment #11 Back Lighting SOOC

28 comments:

  1. so cool! great job! what camera do you use? I am saving up for one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i may take classes like yours...so much difference in the pictures!

    http://jamwordscrolls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. wao...I learnt some thing :) cool post :)
    xoxo
    http://sreebindu.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome! Totally inspiring me to want to take a class too. I recently bought myself a fancypants camera:

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com.es/2012/02/my-new-friend.html

    And have no idea how to use it. I mean, of course, I'm using it. But like a spastic blind person, pressing buttons trial and error til I get a decent photo. I bought a book and thought I'd just learn it on my own, but I think we all know how well that works. Life gets in the way! So I think that maybe it's time I sign up for a class too. Your assignments turned out so great, it's really super exciting and motivating!

    http://nomadic-d.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots. I think I need to do the same - I have no idea how to work the buttons on my camera. Where is the info for her class? - I don't see it on her website. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you posted if she decides to do it again! She only opened this class to friends. I hope she opens it to the public someday. It's great!

      Delete
  6. #3 & #11 are my favorites:)
    ~C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! And YAY! you can comment. I'm glad it's working finally.

      Delete
  7. Yes! Agree with Tory. Would love info about her class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you posted if she decides to do it again! She only opened this class to friends. I hope she opens it to the public someday. It's great!

      Delete
  8. Great job! I really like your motion capture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these photos! I especially love the last photo. The colors are gorgeous! Oh, and I am commenting from a Linux operating system now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the assignment number one shot. Very pretty. Good luck improving your skills!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love more info on the class as well! I live in D.C., but maybe she would be interested in doing a day class down here???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep you posted if she decides to do it again! She only opened this class to friends. I hope she opens it to the public someday. She's totally should. It's great!

      Delete
  12. what a treat- a photography class! this is on my list of things to do too. i'm probably over-exposing all of my photos too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sharon,your blog is just great!I was studying a photo of one of your sons in the AA cardigan and bright tee,then I realized my son was wearing the exact clothing even down to the grey pants,aha! I can feel good now that cool NY mums dress their kids like Vancouver mums haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look great, Sharon! It's a great class!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your pictures are fantastic, I like them so much I gave them a shout out on my blog! They make me kinda embarrassed about the photos I post...really makes me consider investing in a camera...

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're convincing me that I should take a photography class - I try to tell myself I can teach everything I need to know via the interweb, but I have a feeling I would benefit so much more and save myself so much time by just taking a class. Awesome photos! I'm sure it helps having some wonderful subjects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. SO jealous you met Tori Spelling! Gah! These pics are definitley inspiring me to learn more about my Rebel. Thanks for sharing :) PS It was so exciting meeting you randomly the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photos! I call shooting SOOC "the lazy man's way" - I'd rather just try and get it right the first time.

    I've been learning through some online classes (new to photography since January although my husband shoots). Just love it.

    I did learn some photoshop but my retouches need retouches - hence the love of SOOC!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are getting awesome at correct photo-taking. I want to be in the next class! Tell her! I have a DSLR that sits in the case b/c I'm not smarty enough :(

    ReplyDelete
  20. AAAAH! I just bought a Rebel T3/50 mm lens a few weeks ago and promptly started to freak out because I had no idea how to use it! ;) Thankfully the learning curve is really steep with digital, don't you think? I'd love to take a class like yours. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! The quality of your photos (and appreciation of other's) are going to skyrocket! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are super talented! I would take this class in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

NYC Taught Me All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger